Too many watts for ReefKeeper 2? Aqua Controller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brandyrb

For those of you running your halides on your reefkeepers or aqua contollers, should a controller be able to run 3 400W HQI Halide Ballasts, 2 icecap 660's running 6 24W T5s and a heater without blowing a fuse?

We got a used Reefkeeper 2 and had to stagger the times the halides came on to avoid blowing a fuse, but after replaceing our halides with new bulbs, the fuse blew again and melted itself inside the power controller. So my husband and I are wondering if the controller should've handled this and if we should replace it with another controller? Reefkeeper 2, Aqua Controller? I don't want to spend the money on another controller if it won't support our lights.

Any input about the halide ballasts you're running on your controller and other equipment you're running on your controller would be helpful.

Maybe the used unit we got was defective? It never shut itself off before blowing a fuse. Is it supposed to?

Thanks,

Brandy

After further research, I think I found the answer to my question. I guess the reefkeeper 2 power controller can handle a max of 15Amps (same with the Aqua Controller) and each 400W PFO HQI ballast draws 5.3 AMPS according to an Advanced Aquarist's article I came accross, so we were pushing it with just the halides and should've been using an expansion socket for the extra load. Live and learn I guess...

I'm still curious what controllers other people use to run their halides and equipment and what expansion sockets if any.

Back