Too Much Air in Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tmorman

I’m so new at this that I have a tank with LR but don’t have any fish yet! I’m setting up my tank and have a lot of air bubbles in the tank. The tank is 65 gal with MegaFlow return. There is a 15 Gal sump with a protein skimmer, sock and return pump. The pump is completely covered with water and away from the skimmer exit. There is not a lot of air in the sump, but there is always a small amount of bubbles being returned. Then every couple of minutes, a huge amount of bubbles floods the tank. Since there are no bubbles in the sump, I’m thinking that they are being created in the return system. Is this possible? Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my last task to complete before I add fish! Thanks!

My return pump creates a "vortex" when sucking water and every once in a while pulls some air in from the surface..
Check if this is happening?

It is completely possible, and not uncommon. I don't know what you are using for plumbing for the return pump, but a poorly cemented PVC connection or a not quite tight enough hose clamp can cause small amounts of air to get sucked into the pipe. Also, the Locline that comes with the Megaflow Standpipe kit (if you purchased that) can cause the air introduction if any part of the Locline is above water. The fact that a large amount of air gets pushed out periodically would tell me that there is air accumulating in an elbow or someplace; then when the air pocket gets big enough, it all escapes at once. There is the possibility that air bubbles from the skimmer are getting sucked into the return pump. Are there baffles in your sump?

My return pump creates a "vortex" when sucking water and every once in a while pulls some air in from the surface..
Check if this is happening?

I just checked and there is no vortex. I've got about 4 inches of water above the top of the pump. I'm puzzled!

It is completely possible, and not uncommon. I don't know what you are using for plumbing for the return pump, but a poorly cemented PVC connection or a not quite tight enough hose clamp can cause small amounts of air to get sucked into the pipe. Also, the Locline that comes with the Megaflow Standpipe kit (if you purchased that) can cause the air introduction if any part of the Locline is above water. The fact that a large amount of air gets pushed out periodically would tell me that there is air accumulating in an elbow or someplace; then when the air pocket gets big enough, it all escapes at once. There is the possibility that air bubbles from the skimmer are getting sucked into the return pump. Are there baffles in your sump?

I'm using the kit from megaflow for plumbing. there are no baffles in the system. i did not pvc teh return system- the directions said not to so they could be taken apart for cleaning. Not sure what you mean by the Locline. The only thing above the water line is a 90deg fitting and the diverters.

Locline is the black flexible pipe stuff (modular) that goes on the return side, coming out of the overflow box.

I'll take of the loclline and replace it with hose temporarily. This should tell me if the locline is the issue. I recall seeing a hole drilled in the 90 deg fitting- on the underside right at the angle. I assumed this was to break siphon. I'll try plugging this too. thanks for the suggestions

Also, are there any filter socks or anything else to calm down the splashing of the water as it enters the sump? Are you sure there are no bubbles in the sump?

there is a sock, and I'm sure of no bubbles in the sump. That was the first part i focused on. I moved the return pump away from the skimmer and sock to start with.

Don't plug that hole! You assumed right. if anything make it bigger or add a second one. The hole should be under water during normal operations. Teflon tape on the Locline threads also.

Thanks for the advice- i wont plug it! However, its not under water. the hole is just above the overflow ledge. I the locline screws into the 90, and lays inside a cutout on the wall. its mounted as low as it can go. I can raise the water level in the overflow section, but there will not be a "waterfall" then. sorry i dont know the proper names for all these things i'm talking about! i appreciate your help!

You're doing fine, and you're welcome. This is the problem with the Megaflow setup. They're not bad overflows, but if you follow their design completely you can't get that Locline totally underwater because it's coming out above the overflow's top lip. What I did in the past was to abandon the Locline on the return and replace it with a short length of PVC pipe and some elbows/threaded insert, yada, yada, yada... to get the return under water.

You're doing fine, and you're welcome. This is the problem with the Megaflow setup. They're not bad overflows, but if you follow their design completely you can't get that Locline totally underwater because it's coming out above the overflow's top lip. What I did in the past was to abandon the Locline on the return and replace it with a short length of PVC pipe and some elbows/threaded insert, yada, yada, yada... to get the return under water.

go it, thanks. I'll have to do the same thing then. I'm not sure if these bubbles are a functional issue, but they sure spoil the view!

go it, thanks. I'll have to do the same thing then. I'm not sure if these bubbles are a functional issue, but they sure spoil the view!

You might want to post pictures of your complete set up and we may be able to help more

you could also pick up a few more bits of locline and bring it under water. other then that i think they have you taken care of.
on a side note, i would try to get most of your stuff 2nd hand to cut down costs. there is always/almost always someone getting out. u can normally get lucky on craigslist...
Stephen

I've had a similar problem on my new tank. Turns out I had air trapped in part of the closed loop. All I had to do was shut it off for 10 minutes and the air found it's way out. I had to shut off different pump one at a time until I found the culprit. Now it's practically crystal clear.

Thanks for all your help. It turns out that the fitting which connects the locline with the 90 deg angle was letting in the air. I added some more tape and and gave it an extra turn and the problem has been solved. Thanks again!

Back