too much calcium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kfbrown14

i have a 75 gallon reef tank thats about 6 months old went through all water tests today and my calcium is reading very high test equipment says 13 drops to turn solution purple is a reading of about 520ppm during my test it took closer to 20 to get the purple color wanted by the test making results about 640ppm is this a concern and will it drop on its own or do i need a water change all other test results are good thanks

Welcome to Reef Frontiers

Why so high, do you dose? Kalk stirrer on overdrive, CaRx set too high? Or a bad test kit. What brand and how old is your kit?

IMHO, I have found way too many people try to do other than good saltwater changes. Unless have a tank filled with clams or fast growing SPS, rarely a need to suppliment minerals.

api and its only a week or so old when i started i dosed to regulate i recently switched to reef salt instead of regular salt willl this high reading cause any harm whats my best solution

When i was using api, id get readings like that with the ca. Retest it again, if it dont change, and your not adding ca in any form, best guess is you have a bad ca test. You can take it to a lfs and have them test your water.

api and its only a week or so old when i started i dosed to regulate i recently switched to reef salt instead of regular salt willl this high reading cause any harm whats my best solution

Regular salt as in table salt?
What brand of reef salt?
Quit dosing. The end result of saltwater changes is a balanced mix of Ca, Mg, etc.
Most often if the Ca is too high or Mg, etc, it will precipitate out as nature finds it's own balance.

Yes this is oversimplified, but always start with the simplest first and if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
:)

i will take in a sample for testing and my salt is the instant ocean brand regular at first then i was told buy the store owner the reef salt (same brand) was a good idea that being said this is also the guy that sold me all the additives i will just keep testing on a regular schedule any suggestions on a brand names for a good test kit i have a lot invested over the last half year dont want to blow it now

i will take in a sample for testing and my salt is the instant ocean brand regular at first then i was told buy the store owner the reef salt (same brand) was a good idea that being said this is also the guy that sold me all the additives i will just keep testing on a regular schedule any suggestions on a brand names for a good test kit i have a lot invested over the last half year dont want to blow it now

Instant Ocean is fine. The only thing different betweeen it and Reef Crystals is basically more Ca.
Salifort makes reliable test kits, but your probably do not need to worry about Ca testing nor suplimentation unless you have a huge demand on minerals such as Ca and Mg from large fast growing coral colonies or a collection of clams.

Regular salt as in table salt?
What brand of reef salt?
Quit dosing. The end result of saltwater changes is a balanced mix of Ca, Mg, etc.
Most often if the Ca is too high or Mg, etc, it will precipitate out as nature finds it's own balance.

Yes this is oversimplified, but always start with the simplest first and if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
:)

GAHHH far too many times have I tried to fix things that aren't broken :(
usually ends up worse than it started.

Same issue always try to do more when I should just leave it alone. Let things show you they need it or test it regularly to prove you need to do more after a couple close calls I will just do my regular maintenance and leave well enough alone. I have a buddy that keeps wanting me to try different things add this etc... I have learned to say no thanks.

I use plain ol IO salt. I have sps lps and softies. Mind you i dont have alot of sps, but my monties are pretty big. If i was keeping more sps, i would switch to reef crystals, but i dont see the need for it. I also dont dose ANYTHING. If i were you, id switch to plain IO salt, let the calcium come down either naturally or through some water changes, then once i get some decent size sps growth, assuming thats what your planning, then move up to IO reef crystals or some other higher ca brand salt. Thats just me though.

that make plenty of sense i talked to a elderly fellow at a frag show over the weekend he said may concerns are pretty normal for a "newby" like myself he claims to have been in the business longer than i have been alive (47 years old thank you very much) he says to stop thinking you have to add so much, test and prove somethings low before putting something in and i will be amazed how little i have to do and if there looks like there is nothing wrong there probably isnt thanks for the help greatly appreciated

i have a 75 gallon reef tank thats about 6 months old went through all water tests today and my calcium is reading very high test equipment says 13 drops to turn solution purple is a reading of about 520ppm during my test it took closer to 20 to get the purple color wanted by the test making results about 640ppm is this a concern and will it drop on its own or do i need a water change all other test results are good thanks

I have used api for quick tests and my recolection is 20 drops is no way 640....I want to say that 22 drops is somwhere in the low 400's. can you confirm this please.

My calcium is always in the mid 500's and everything is good so I dont think there is a bad reaction to having it high

Hijacking the thread a bit - does excessive calcium dosing (dosing more than is consumed by the tank) end up lowering the magnesium?

Back