too much flow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ango917

does this exist? I just installed 2 koralia fours and it appears to be alot flow. I have a standard 4ft 55gal tank with mostly polyps and LPS with some SPS. My fish are chromis, sailfin tang, clowns, wrasse, and pj cardinal. i have heard the more flow the better, but maybe i have heard incorrectly.

thanks for your help

does this exist? I just installed 2 koralia fours and it appears to be alot flow. I have a standard 4ft 55gal tank with mostly polyps and LPS with some SPS. My fish are chromis, sailfin tang, clowns, wrasse, and pj cardinal. i have heard the more flow the better, but maybe i have heard incorrectly.

thanks for your help

two k4s should be fine in a 55, it is a lot of flow but if you have them setup right you can manage them fine. make sure they are not pointing towards the rocks or corals, instead angle them at the glass at about a 45degree angle and then it will dispurse the flow more evenly.

hope this helps my friend!

Matt

Sounds good to me. Some of your LPS may not like it directly on them but the output on those is pretty wide and I would say if you’re not kicking up the sand to much it’s all good.

I put in two of the Sunsun 3200 gph power heads in my 210 and all I can say is wow. I thought it was going to be a little much but the fish love it, they seems to surf the currants around the rock and have fun with it. I have a little bit of sand movement but not a sand storm.

Most every one seems to run them pointing at each other from across the tank to cause more turbulent water action.

thanks for the info. i have them pointed at the front of the tank across from each other. There was quite a bit of sand movement at first and now I have quasi-crater of sand towards the front of the tank in the middle.

Two k4!..... I would think that would be a sandstorm! If not and you dont place any corals right in front of the power heads you should be good. I would have one or both off at night though..

Should be fine. I have 78x's flow in my 125g. Just have to make sure you don't have a fire hose blasting a coral. Wide gentle flow. Its just as important to your corals as your lights.

I also run 2 Koralias 3's in a 4' 75g one in back right pointed down behind LR to flush out anything and one back left pointing slightly down and to front center. Iwaki 40 for return pushing 900gph +- everything loves it but a few Xenias ( needed thinnig anyway ) so even with a sand bed do not have any buildup anywhere.

Todd

thanks for sharing all of your experiences. I actually removed one of the powerheads, because I could not position the combination of both without creating too much sand movement. I ended up having almost a bare area towards the front of my tank with both running. I think I will keep the one running at all times.

I use two on timers they go on and off about every hour and a half with both on for like 10 minutes between and bot off for 15 min in the morning and at night the k4 isn't grounded so you can get timers at big lots for like $3.50 then you can utilize both pumps find the timers that turn on and off every 15 min its better than a wave maker, and way cheaper with two you have many options.

I use two on timers they go on and off about every hour and a half with both on for like 10 minutes between and bot off for 15 min in the morning and at night the k4 isn't grounded so you can get timers at big lots for like $3.50 then you can utilize both pumps find the timers that turn on and off every 15 min its better than a wave maker, and way cheaper with two you have many options.

Be careful though, because that is super hard on the pumps to be turned on and off like that. That is why true "wave makers" have a soft start.

-augustus

Im now running 4 K 4's on my 90. The fish and SPS just love it. Its just a matter of placement thats the biggest thing.

in my 5 ft 100 gal I didn't have but only one k3 but I had 3 6100's full bore I think it is like 5300gph and also a modded mj1200 along with the return pumping out 7-800 gph also Placement is key not direct flow but with the just 2 6100's I had a good 1in wave going in my tank. I would aim one pointing more up but place the pump low and from the back corner hitting the front glass and the opposite for the other and you should be good with nice flow but this all depend on how your live rock is set up and corals.

Back