??top Off And Kalk Reactor??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bigd

Hey guys,

Im thinking of making a kalk reactor to use with a my Flexiflo dosing pump for auto top-off 24/7. Im concerned that my tank's calcium needs are not that high and toping off strictly with kalk will over-dose my tank. Is there a way to dose R.O water and kalk through a reactor with the same dosing pump so that I do not over dose....please help. thanks

Thats how its done. When you dose with a kalk reactor and pump your pumping rodi water into the reactor. From there it spills over to the sump.

Don

I get that part.....the part im concerned with is, if all my top of water is kalk saturated water I might over-dose my tank because my calicum demands are not all that high right now.

Just use less kalk. It will precip P and help keep your ph in line. It really doesnt do much for ca and alk anyways.

Don

wow..could it really be that simple..haha. I was just thinking that with a kalk reactor all the water coming out is fully saturated kalk water. SO if I wanna use my doser to pump back all evaporated water through the reactor and my calcium demands are low I would risk over-dosing kalk in my system.

It really is just that simple. Dont use as much kalk and dont run the mixing pump as often. If you dont mix it it wont be completely saturated.

Don

nielson top off is smoooth like butter. I use it everyday. Like Don said no worries. If you are getting a tad to much/lots of evaporation as in summer, just dont mix it that day or mix it longer before it doses. I run mine at about 2am mix about right before it doses in winter mix about and hour before in summer. Keeps Ph in line at night. Takes care of top off Ca and Alk. Best purchase I've made for my tank.

-Erik

If you run it 24/7 it shouldn't do much to stablize your PH as your will be pushing the PH up at all times of the day. If you run the top-off only at night then it will help stabilize the PH.

All the other comments are right on. They work very well to maintain a Ca/Alk level. Not really designed/effective to increase the Ca/Alk level. Adjustments should be done with the usual suspects (turbo calc, baking soda, 2 part, etc.)

reedman said:
If you run it 24/7 it shouldn't do much to stablize your PH as your will be pushing the PH up at all times of the day. If you run the top-off only at night then it will help stabilize the PH.

All the other comments are right on. They work very well to maintain a Ca/Alk level. Not really designed/effective to increase the Ca/Alk level. Adjustments should be done with the usual suspects (turbo calc, baking soda, 2 part, etc.)

Na, really just depends on the system. If you dont stir during the day when ph is high, no problem. Just takes a little time to figure out when and when not to stir. Charting your ph and stir times makes it easy to figure it out. Shouldnt take more than a few days to get just about perfect.

Don

Must have been my system then, because in mine I had it stir occasionally at night during lights out, not during the day and my PH was up throughout the day. But that's my experience.

Back