Top-off Water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyDog2

Clam Eater
If you use ro-di water for your top off and it has a PH of 7.0 do you need to use a product like proper PH 8.2 to raise the PH of the top off water or does the evaporation process leave enough buffering compounds behind to allow the 7.0 water to be okey dokey! Does that make sense? Any input would be much appreciated. This might be a general forum type question but I was hoping for a chime-in from Kevin.

Hello,
All the minerals are left behind in the evaporation process. Also the small amount of added top-off water will not affect the tank PH if you are maintaining the tank water near NSW levels of minerals (CA, MG, KH). For the keeping of stony corals kalkwasser is recommended for top-off water and it will have a PH of 11-12 in addition to adding add small amounts of calcium and buffer.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I used to top off with Kalkwasser so I guess I never worried about the PH. I'll start doing that again. We haven't had any Spokane Doctor visits for the past couple years so you haven't seen much of me there, and that's a good thing. Some time I hope to go to Spokane just visit and shop.

Your advice is always the best!

Thanks from Lewiston
Tim

Back