Toxicity Of Cyano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wsboyette

Fisherman
How toxic is cyano scum to fish ? Would bottom-dwelling fishes such as dragonets, blennies, etc be adversely affected by being in contact with it ?

I have herd that in large enough amounts, cyan releases toxins. It is the dreaded "Blue-green algea". We had it in a fresh water lake here, and people and animals were getting sick from it (lake Onterio). I was told same for reef tanks or fish, that it releases toxins, not sure how toxic to fish. any toxin is bad! syphon it out, export

I read that large amounts of the toxin from blue-green the cyano slime can actually cause ALS in humans. And I did know a former duck hunter to die of ALS, I wonder how much of it he came in contact with when hunting ? And the mandarin had increasing paralysis just as if it had a sudden onset of ALS. I suspect mine may be the blue-green, as its red coloration may be from the "Purple Up" calcium/iodine supplement I've been using. But there is a maroon clownfish playing in the slime all the time (as though he thinks it is an anemone), and he appears unaffected by contact with it. At any rate, I siphoned as much of it out as I could with a 30% water change, and am leaving the lights off (yes, the bulbs & tubes are new < 3 months old).

Not sure about the toxicity of it, but cyno generally likes low flow areas so if you increase your flow to the areas it is growing it will usually disappear a bit if it is infact cyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have tried to increase flow the help, just found it made it grow in a diff spot. actually got it to grow in the fuge for a while, made for easy export. this stuff grows fast

Blue-green aglae is a generic term, it is red, purple, blue, blue green,black- it takes on many colors. no light will help, but need to find the fuel to stop the fire, lights will have to come on and if you don't find the source it will come back. the water change will buy some time, need to find the sorce of the fuel. feeding, die-off something is feeding it. I found most liquid foods (frozen or bottled) are a good source for fuel, i don"t use them. I only use top quality coral and fish food, if I feed. Live foods are my prefference, love them pods, i don't really feed my take, mostly pod doseing.

Back