Tragedy: I've killed them all

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kickwrasse

Bad news. On Monday night I started the death of two nano-reef tanks. While trying to clean green hair algae out of my bio-cube, I did something that resulted in the death of the whole system. I made the mistake of stirring up too much stuff and not doing a water change. By the next day the softy tank was almost destroyed. In haste, I tried to save two rocks - one covered in a red mushroom, one in a blue - by putting them in a separate ten gallon tank that was strictly LPS and zoos. Consequently, RTN destroyed my LPS tank. :( Super bummed out, muchachoes. Destroyed two years of growth. Only saving grace is one twenty headed duncan might live. I will always have salt water on hand now.

Yea these small tanks you need to stay on top of the wc's because they can affect everything instantly almost. Sorry to hear about your losses, that sure is a bummer!:violin:

Ouch...Sorry to hear :doubt:. Nano's are the hardest tanks to keep. They are so easily influenced due to the small volume of water so as Scooty suggested, you have to stay on top of things. I hope your duncan makes it. Letus know...

Hey Kickwrasse sorry to hear but, let me know when your up & running again and I'll give you a few corals to start with again.

Cheers, Todd

murderer......

Just kidding. Sorry about the swing in luck. Nano's are just sooo sensitive.

Thanks dudes but starting over sucks fish sticks my lps tank was all stocked with the goods I had planned for my 40 custom.pics coming soon!

Hard lesson to learn :(

Sorry for your loss. I am impressed that you even shared what happened truthfully. Most people just give up or blame the weather or somthing ;) But in rare cases people like yourself share what really happened and fight on, learning and becoming great reef aquarium keepers.

I'll be keeping an eye out for updates from you. I look forward to seeing where you go from here :)

Frank

I know how you feel. I believe something similar happened to my systems when I moved them across the room 6 ft. Didn't have enough water for the move so things went kind of bad. Still dealing with it and it's almost been two months. I hope your duncans make it. Any pics of them?

I've got lots of zoas, some montis, anthelia, kenya, and a frogspawn/hammer morph with over 15 heads I could easily break off one or two to donate to your new tank. I'm so sorry for your loss :( I nuked a 55 gallon tank a while ago - totally sucks when you've got no one to blame but yourself. I do hope you start again, and take this as a "lesson." Don't let it get you down - it happens to the best of us!!

Pictures of duncan and forty custom. P1020149.jpg P1020150.jpgP1020151.jpgP1020152.jpgP1020154.jpg

Forgive the noob question, but, what's RTN ? OP said "Consequently, RTN destroyed my LPS tank." Can someone clue me in ?

thanks
Mike

Rtn is rapid tissue necrosis. I forget the details, but the flesh of the coral deteriorates very fast killing the coral usually within a couple of hours to a day. There's also stn in which the coral deteriorates at a much slower pace and is sometimes easier to treat to save the coral.

Back