Transporting Clams 6-8 hrs.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Congo

What is the best way to transport clams? I am going to buy a system this weekend that is about 6 hours away and it comes with 4 clams. There is one that is at least 10". I have reefers in my area willing to hold them while the tank gets set back up and stable. Any suggestions?

a month or so ago i received a shipment of small croceas and the box only had one heat pack and it was right next to one of the bags, so i can only imagine what the first hour or two must have been like for the clams, then when it arrived the next day of course it was the same temp as the outside air- about 50 degrees! i was not very happy, but the clams were still alive. this isnt the way to do it but if something happens they still have a chance for survival. IMO the right way is to have two or three hand warmers on top of some bubble wrap or styrofoam then a layer of bubble wrap then the clams all double bagged then a layer of bubble wrap then two or three hand warmers then another layer of bubble wrap. i use a cooler instead of a box which will eliminate the need for the first and last layers and if you have extra room inside add jugs of tank water to help maintain the temp.

You could get a cooler and a small heater and air pump and plug them into a converter (maybe soemone has one nearbye you ?) for the car/truck cigarett lighter/power supply you would be better off I would think. I just got a truck that has 2 of those one for power supply only :)

Plack,

Good idea. That is exactly what a friend in our club here in the TriCities told me to do.
I've already moved the clams. It was about a 14 hour ordeal and all the clams so far have survived. With the rush and trying to get all the corals, fish and equipment packed there was no room for a cooler in the back of my crew cab truck. The equipment from a 310 gallon setup with all the fixings took more room than I thought, plus it was raining so equipment that could not get wet went in the cooler spot. They made the trip in a 100 quart cooler just fine. They are tougher than I was giving them credit.

Back