treating red bug

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roscoe

So how much interceptor is safe to dose a 40b? I'm going to be doing this in the next day or so. I have 2 tablets should I use 1/4 or 1/2 of the tabs. Any info can help thanks. I tried to remove most of my snails and hermits out into a qurantine already. I know I have some more in there I can't find at the moment. I also have 2 cleaner shrimp in there that I am having no luck catching. They ussually come up to my fingers at feeding, but for some reason I think they know that I am trying to catch them so they are not coming up to me. Thanks for the help!

Do you have a sump or anything else?

I dosed 1/8th of a tablet on mine and it worked great.

Your cleaner shrimp will survive, they'll just act drunk during treatment. All your crabs, hermits, and other shrimp that are catchable should be removed.

Do you have a sump or anything else?

I dosed 1/8th of a tablet on mine and it worked great.

Your cleaner shrimp will survive, they'll just act drunk during treatment. All your crabs, hermits, and other shrimp that are catchable should be removed.

No sump. I figure with rock I have. Its about 35g total water volume. how many time should i dose it.

If you can let things settle and catch the cleaners I would recommend it. Survival is hit and miss during treatment with them. I know this from first hand experience.

You cant follow the instructions with the pills you have. Use at least half the pill. They are not the same, they have the same amount of active ingredient but the pill is much larger. Those are special:lol:

Here is a picture of a US novartis pill and one of the ones you have.

well its been 3hrs since dosing I lost one cleaner and one is still alive that I happened to catch and throw him into the quarintine tank.

Good job catching the cleaner. I did one treatment only, my cleaner was pretty good sized and survived about 5 days, but then died. I had had him for about 1 year. Bummer. I thought I was in the clear when I did all of the water changes, but the cummulative effect must have been too much for him.

Good job catching the cleaner. I did one treatment only, my cleaner was pretty good sized and survived about 5 days, but then died. I had had him for about 1 year. Bummer. I thought I was in the clear when I did all of the water changes, but the cummulative effect must have been too much for him.

thanks. I've had these cleaners for over a year myself. Sad to see one go but I hope the other survives. Did you get rid of all your red bugs with the one treatment and also how long after I do the water change can I add my snails, hermits and my lonely cleaner back in? THANKS

Treated once, red bugs completely gone. I had the interceptor to do another treatment if necessary, but I felt dosing a second time for no reason didn't make sense. I just held onto it, saw how things worked out, and if there had been redbugs that recovered, I would have treated again.

One good calculated treatment should be fine.

If you really wanted to be careful, you could do the water change after the treatment, then let things settle for a week and do your regularly scheduled water change, then put them in. That being said, you could also probably change the water, let it settle for a day or two, then put them back.

Yeah I think thats what I will do. I'll do a water change after the treatment then wait a few days and do another water change and then I'll add them back in.

JMO. No,No,No. Don't fool your self. If you have RED BUG then you have EGGS. Thats a give-in.
Rosco do 3 treatments min or your wasting your time.
Then after that you need a QT tank so you can treat any corals you buy, not once but two or three times.
MY BAD. I think you can treat only one time. From what I found is you may need to leave the treatment in for some time and no water change so it kills anything that hatches in the next few days.
Still reading up on it so dont try it yet.
Someone have any other advice.

Last edited:
You so funny man. Well I don't see any more red bugs. I think I'll just do this one and see what happens . If the darn bugs appear again I have enough pills to do the 3 step process. Sooo I'll let you know.

If you end up not using it let me know. I have one tri-color with some red bugs on it. Funny thing... that acro grows faster than any of my other sps. I'm not seeing any negative effects from the red bugs and I sometimes wonder if there is some kind of symbiotic relationship.

The only reason I want the bugs gone is because I want to trade frags at some point and I don't want to be spreading them around.

Yeah 3 times is the trick, i did it once and waited 2-3 days and did a WC, to no accord... There were eggs and hatched..... i did 3 doses within 2.5-3 weeks and seemed to do the trick...

Best of luck.

Back