Triggerfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

farid2544

Does anyone know of a triggerfish that will do alright in a 72 gallon fowlr tank? Most that we have found online need either 125, 180 or more. My wife likes the humu picasso triggerfish but that one requires a 180 gallon tank.

Doesn't necessarily need to be that big. It depends on how big the fish it. I like Humu too. I got one when I was in HI and it's their state fish. You can have a 40 g tank with small -sized triggers.

Doesn't necessarily need to be that big. It depends on how big the fish it. I like Humu too. I got one when I was in HI and it's their state fish. You can have a 40 g tank with small -sized triggers.

yeah but they grow and that's the problem

yeah but they grow and that's the problem

75 Gallon should be fine. If they throw too big just sell them.

Something like a black trigger will also be good, and relatively small.

Are they generally fast growers? If I got a small one would I be ok for the next 2-3 years until we get a bigger tank?

As for the black trigger, is that the Hawaii black trigger or are there other kinds of black trigger?

yeah, i dont want to have to sell them later, but i am planning a tank upgrade in about 2-3 years. i'm just not sure if they grow slow enough for that to be a possibility or if we should just be patient and wait to get the trigger when we do upgrade

Hawaiian black triggers grow very large, and are pretty much open water swimmers similar to the pink tail. In my opinion the Rhinecanthus does grow slower than most of the others, but do have a very robust disposition. I'm not sure what your other tank mates are, so that would be something to think about as well. I have had to get rid of an Assasi Trigger, just because it wouldn't let my slow moving spiny box puffer eat. If you could find a real small one, I'm sure the fish will live a happy life for the 2-3yrs until you get the larger tank, but diffidently think about a back up plan if that doesn't pan out. Good luck

-Augustus

the more I think about it, it might be best to wait until we actually have a bigger tank. life is crazy an who knows what will happen in 2-3 years

Ok lets not let this get out of hand, people have opinions and people sometimes don't explain themselves which seems to be the case. Please stick to the subject and try to be clear about your thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

ok, well that didn't work, so Peng went off the deep end:ban: there my apologies:sorry:, back on topic!!:focus:

Back