tropic eden reef flakes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I looked into bringing it in but the shipping is brutal. We'd have to order a pallet to make it worth it. Round up about 30 folks who want the bigger bags and we can make it happen. If anyone finds a US or Canadian Distributor please let us know!

I could due four 30 lb bags
Sugar size, fine grain sized Reef substrate

What would be the price per bag if we could come up with enough people for a pallet?

I swear I seen that at Petco in Federal Way the other day. But Im not 100% sure if thats what it was. I wouldnt put it past them to order mass amounts of it and then send each store just one bag.

I looked into bringing it in but the shipping is brutal. We'd have to order a pallet to make it worth it. Round up about 30 folks who want the bigger bags and we can make it happen. If anyone finds a US or Canadian Distributor please let us know!

Thanks for checking Cy. I did notice that an online retailer has the substrate but I figure I should check local first. Keep the $$$ in the local economy.

How long would the larger 30 pound bags last once opened? If I am not using it all at one time.

Cheers,
Alex

I'll need some time to get numbers back. Give me until Tuesday. Substrates will store just fine. Just close the bag with a rubberband or twist tie to protect from dust, airborn chemicals etc:)

Thanks Cy. If it will save for a couple of months then I'd be willing to buy two 30 pound bags of each, as long as the price is lower another source that I've recently found.

Should be getting our quote from Tropic Eden Wednesday. We would be the first store on the West Coast to carry it. Sounds like its going to work out. Alex, I'll PM you a price ASAP but understand if you can't wait;)

I dont see the purpose...sorry. Sand is sand. I did click on the link but after 3 seconds of reading I gave up...what is so special about substrate? I have never heard of a reef flourishing or failing because of substrate.

I dont see the purpose...sorry. Sand is sand. I did click on the link but after 3 seconds of reading I gave up...what is so special about substrate? I have never heard of a reef flourishing or failing because of substrate.

Are you saying you feel aragonite, silica, other forms of Calcium Carbonate, or regular aquarium gravel are all the same??

Sure you can keep a reef successfully with any of those materials. If you are going to pick one type of substrate surely you'd choose an aragonite based one because of its helpfull composition. Choose your brand...there are a few out there. Nobody is trying to say TE is the cats meow. Tropic Eden just has some nice grain sizes that people seem to like the look of. Also, its price point looks like its going to be better than many on the market. We are all familiar with CaribSea's fine aragonite products as well.

From Tropic Eden's Website-

We define it:

Aragonite is the material of choice for use as buffer in marine or cichlid aquariums. which counteracts any pH fluctuation that causes deviation from 8.2. the prime pH value of marine water in the natural coral reefs. Thus. aquariums with sand bed layer composed of Tropic Eden™ 's marine aragonite significant differ from aquariums that use relatively inert calcium carbonate materials or the calcite form of coral skeleton that usually stabilize at an exceedingly low pH value of 7.5 - 7.8. A highly unfavorable pH value to marine fishes, and all coral reef organisms.

Last edited:
I just dont see why you have to outsource...around the world!!! to find some good sand! I wasn't trying to make anyone mad...just trying to bring the conversation back down to earth. I wonder how moon dust would do as aragonite...anyone want to fund a trip to the moon for me? I will bring you back 100 pounds a pop...and by pop I mean 10 million dollars! I didn't realize it was such a travesty to give an opinion on sand...that most people throw out when they move their aquarium.

Really...who said it was a travesty?? You asked a question and I answered it. Sorry for trying to be helpfull:) Since nobody in the US makes these exact grain sizes, importing this product is the only option to meet the needs of reefers who like this look.

Well...fair enough...I cant argue with that. I still have a problem with the consumer wanting to buy something that is basically the same as what they can get in the states...but what do I care its not my money! If they have to have that grain size then go to it. HA... I just felt attacked so I attacked back...I hope I put up a good fight:)

Sorry if I came across that way. Wasn't my intention at all. If you read through my posts or get to know me you'll see that I'm far from confrontational:) I hate the personal attack thing. Probably a case of my tone not coming through correctly through typed communication.

On a less serious note...your moondust is too expensive. Get it down to $9 million and you got a deal. Just send the bill to someone else:D

Cy, I am in need of sand, and am researching but I don't see the specs (grain size) is for the TE sands offered. Can you clue me in?

Cy, I am in need of sand, and am researching but I don't see the specs (grain size) is for the TE sands offered. Can you clue me in?

Hey Mark,

Aragasnow- Sugar Size
Miniflakes- 2mm
Reeflakes- 3.5mm
Reeflakes Grand Select- 5.5mm
RubblyReef- Mixed

All from TE's spec sheet I received tonight. Unless they come back with some crazy prices it looks like we are going to order a pallet of mixed product. I'll keep everyone posted.

For anyone who needs to know, I first saw the Tropic Eden subsrate used by Mel of Melevsreef over at Reef Central. That and I also read good things over at Glassbox designs website too.

Sure substrate is substrate to some, but me If I can (I have done it in the past) use sand from say the Caribbean then I would. But I am not planning another trip to the Caymans anytime soon, so...

Thanks again for looking into this for me Cy. And not any big rush at all.
Alex

Back