Trouble in paradise

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

What are the other inhabitants in the tank? How bad are the tang's fins? Do you have a quarantine tank?

Welcome to the forum!!! i agree with Nikki..i would get the tang in a qt tank and let it heal without being stressed out..the fins could get infected

a large sailfin,a small emperor angel,firefly goby,lawnmower blenny,and a decorater crab. Every one had been fine for 6 months until the anemone. hospital tank not at this time but the store i deal with offered to put him in theirs

Last edited:
Welcome to RF! Sorry to hear that about your tang. Maroons are supposed to be one of the most aggressive clowns from what I understand, but I thought it was only towards other clowns. Hope he pulls through for you:)

My Clowns (Oselaris) were nice as could be but a couple months after I bought a pair of rose bulbs from Class Clown they got really defensive just like your Maroon, especially the female. I had a Pygmy Angel who she regularly picked on but I couldn't catch him to give him back to the pet store, he died a week after the big move :( the only fish she won't attack is my Purple Tang, she stands guard at her anenome but she never nips at him. When I moved about a month ago she charged my hand and fingers several times and even though it didn't hurt it sure startled the heck out of me. As mentioned you probably want to remove the Tang from tank, good luck trying to catch it :lol:

My maroon clown is aggresive as well. Same situation he became nippy after getting an anenome. They are most aggresive towards other clowns but are very territorial in general. I am taking mine out of my tank soon to give to my father for a fish only tank with larger more agressive fish. This of course will have no anenome so it should make him less territorial and with no other clowns he should be pretty sedate. I hate to say it, but your best bet is probably to get that clown out of there. If your clown is like mine it would be best to catch it about 1/2 before your lights normally come on. Find it with a flashlight, it usually takes them about 30 seconds to wake up and get going in the morning so you should be able to catch him by suprise. This should also stress the fish less since there won't be a chasing episode.

Back