Troubled Feather Duster

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mahoney

Hey everyone! Quick question about my feather duster. In the past couple weeks, it appears something is nipping away at it. I've had it in the tank for over a year, with all the same fish, and suddenly it's "feathers" are being nipped down. I've sat and watched the tank and I don't notice any fish bugging it (I have moved it around a bunch because my clowns were trying to host in it or something about a month ago and have finally found a place where it's not bothered by the clown fish, but now this!). Any thoughts?

55g tank
T5HO's
Fish--yellow tang, two mated clowns, 6 line wrasse, green clown goby
Others--a peppermint shrimp or two, hermit crabs x 10 or so, a few big snails, various tiny starfish (brittle and non)
All water parameters are normal at this time.

Could something be picking on it when the light is off at night? I love the feather duster! I don't want it to get too stressed and shed it's feathers or die!

Suggestions?

Now Pic:

Now Pic:

Before: Big and beautiful! :(
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Peppermint shrimp can be opportunistic. Although I can't say if they would go after a feather duster its usually polyps.

Just a shot here as I am no expert, but don't feather dusters retract rapidly when bothered? so nothing would have a chance to nip at it? Is it possibible it is rubbing against rockwork is though?

Imoe I've had hermit crabs eat em. Not the smaller hermits but some of the med or lrg reef hermits.
These soft tube ones specially. Sm hermits shouldleave it b though
If its getting some flow. I'd leave it b and watch for some days. Check in at night too when lights r supposed to b off.
Hths
D

ive herd of clowns hating feathers. and a tittle of topic sorta, what happened to your sally sweet lips? it could have loved the duster it sure did on mine when i had one.

Somehow I wasn't getting emails that people had posted. Oops! Well.... after seeing the feather duster get more and more nipped, I decided to move it about 10 inches or so from where it was about a week or so ago, and it actually seems to be doing a little better. It was directly in front of where the peppermint shrimp were holed up. I actually think it's starting to regrow a bit.

Kpiotrowski---that was my impression too that they shrink up... so how the heck could it be being nipped down to the nubs? I checked periodically at night and never saw anything attacking it.... so it's a mystery....

But thanks everyone for the thoughts! Love this site!

Back