Trying out my new Canon 50D

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have another one from Jan that is purple with green polyps, I'll have to see if I can get a picture of it as well. I'm terrible with the names though.

What lens are you using and what setting? Are you using the Canon 100 Macro.

I'm using the Sigma 150mm F/2.8 macro lens. I had the Canon 100mm and you can get these same results, the Sigma just has a bit more reach. As for the settings, you can download a firefox plug-in called EXIF viewer and that will give you all of the settings that I used for each shot. In general I use low ISO and small aperture for macro shots.

Awesome shots with the new camera! :shock: :D

The purple-with-green-polyps acro you got from me is the "Bali Bonzai."

I'm using the Sigma 150mm F/2.8 macro lens. I had the Canon 100mm and you can get these same results, the Sigma just has a bit more reach. As for the settings, you can download a firefox plug-in called EXIF viewer and that will give you all of the settings that I used for each shot. In general I use low ISO and small aperture for macro shots.

I have the sigma 150mm for nikon but still can't have picture like that :)

As for the settings, you can download a firefox plug-in called EXIF viewer and that will give you all of the settings that I used for each shot.

That plug in works like a charm. Didn't know that was even out there. Thanks

Hi Rick!

Lovely photos as always! I just acquired an EOS 40D. I will need some pointers, if you have the time :) I am not sure if I'm ready to shell out $800 for an 17-55 IS, so it will be the 17-85 IS for now. Well, and I do have the Nifty Fifty.

What Macro do you suggest? Canon 100mm? 60mm? Another brand?

Thanks,
Ilham

You shouldn't have a problem getting shots with the 17-85, you'll just probably have to bump the ISO to compensate for the smaller aperture. There are a ton of good macro options and the Canon 100mm is a great middle of the road lens. The 60mm is awesome but doesn't give much reach for macro shots beyond a few inches. The Sigma 150mm is my favorite but really directed towards macro shots over regular 'ol tank shots. The 100mm is a great compromise and extremely sharp. Be sure to post up some samples once you start shooting.

Hi Rick,

Thank you. I do need some inspiration ;) Definitely a newbie to photography here.

I like the bokeh in the blenny shot.

Best,
ilham

I can't really see a use for the aperture mask. It looks like someone has a bit more time on their hands than myself, lol.

Here is a clownfish shot that I liked from yesterday.
IMG_0653-Edit.jpg

And this little tailspot is just too much fun to shoot. The face is hilarious.
IMG_0684-Edit.jpg

Back