Trying to add corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cpd7767

what would case snails, crabs and corals to die but not fish? My PH is 8.5 Ammonia 0 KH: 7 Nitrite 0 CA 350 Nitrate 10 PO: 0 Salinity: 1.023
this is my set up I have had fish for a long time and would like to start adding coral frags but that is not working the keep dieing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuma53XjA4
Thanks

Christian
Bellevue

Hiya Christian,

Nitrate needs to be >10 and salinity sweet spot is around 1.026. PH is a little high. Ideal PH is 8.2-8.3. What kind of frags are you adding? Also, what type of lights are you running? What is your light cycle like?

Hi Christian: did you ever introduce copper to the tank before? Not sure about corals, but snails & crabs could be explained if copper was in the tank before...

HTH,

Rob

Nitrate or ph would be a good possibility. I had a nitrate spike quite a while back in my old tank as well as a ph instability. Lost tons of coral, fish all lived happily.

I always feel sorry when people have this problem I haven't even checked any of my levels and I have added many types of coral I have no clue what my salinity is at the moment or my other levels :(.

ok just got back bout a copper test kit it is at 0.0 and my calcium is at 450 if any one wants to call my so i can cry on your shoulder that would great. Did about a 6gal water chang salinity to 1.024

426-644-4021
Christian

I thought that 1.024 salinity was ideal for certain creatures and not so ideal for others though. I know there is alot of debate about that. I figured a happy middle between 1.025 and 1.026 and fish and coral all florish

How long has your tank been up and running? If it has been under a month then your tank is still probably cycling.

Make sure you are acclimating your critters and not just dumping them into your system.

What is the temperature of your tank?

I don't think your lighting is killing off corals/snails/hermits.

I think it's chemicals/toxins in your tank killing stuff off more so than your lighting. Also, depending on the fish that are in your tank, they may be eating your crabs/snails/corals.

I think your correct on a toxin. It could even be something that died in the tank. Lots of carbon and a few large water changes probably get things in check. The levels you indicated you have are not going to cause a crash like you had. The crash may have caused your increase in levels you did get on the one test. I keep my tank at 1.020 on the dot all the time. My brother keeps his at 1.027 all the time, no one has a problem ether way. They do say that if you have a reef tank that keeping it around 1.026 is recommended but not necessary. Fish only tanks recommended at 1.020. sorry to here about the loss. Any chance you have kids that may have dropped something in the tank?

Back