Trying To Get Started

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SPONGEBOB2

I Bought A 65 Gallon Tank,250 Watt Mh Lights,pump,bio Filter,mech Filter,uv Sterilizer, I Am Trying To Set Up A Reef Tank,idont Even Know How To Plum The System,what Is A Good Book Or Advice On How To Start,from The Overflow Box Back To The Tank,,,help

Welcome to Reef Frontiers

there are many good books about how to keep an aquarium but i dont think any tell you how to plumb your system. what exactly do you want to know and im sure we can help you out. please list if your tank is reef ready, what pump you have, do you have a sump?are you using a skimmer? what do you plan on keeping?

Last edited:
Welcome to RF. You might want to look at the member showcase forum to see some pictures of member systems and some setups. A word of advice to you go slow, go very very slow in everything you do related to your reef tank and you will save alot of money and livestock.

another-fish-welcome.gif

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

(© Fair Use Doctrine of International Copyright Law ©)

sunny.gif

welcome and good luck...Keep us posted on progress!

Welcome to RF!!! I agree, check out the member's showcase forum or the tank design forum and look at ways people have plumbed their system. I see you said you have a bio-filter...Which one? If it is a "sump style" setup and you have an overflow, then it will be easy to get you started. Let us know and good luck!:)

I'm in MA also, and my friend told me to join this site because I have a saltwater tank (for about 5 years) and have no idea what I'm doing. I've managed to keep my fishies healthy for that long ( I even have the same damsel I started with) but I don't know how I do it. I didn't even have a skimmer until 2 years ago, and my friend tells me it's the worst kind. I really want to make my fishies happy, and expand my tank.

Welcome to RF penny, tell us a little more about your tank and the equipment you have and any problems you may be having

I have a 55 gallon tank, and a sea clone skimmer, and like I said, my friend, who does reef tanks for a living says that's the worst kind! It doesn't even make foam. I have 3 fish, a yellow tail damsel, a clown and a yellow tang. My friend tells me I should get live rock, but I don't know anything about it, and I live on the East coast (a west coast transplant) and there are very few stores here that carry it. I really need a book and a better skimmer!

Welcome to a great site Penny. Hope you are feeding your tang some veggies. You can find great and affordible skimmers as well as live rock here and other places on line.

Yes, I am. My poor tang, he's gone through so much because of my ignorance! once he even turned red all over, but he stayed with me and got better. So you see how much help I need! :(

I bet you are doing just fine. Each of us learns and improves all the time. Train the tang to eat mostly nori, lightly steamed broccalli, and other rich green foods. Don't forget water changes and enjoy!

live rock will really help your tank. Bacteria live inside it and convert ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. in most peoples systems its there main biological filter. since your tank is up and running i wouldn't add it all at once, just a piece at a time and only buy cured live rock. adding uncured live rock to a tank with fish can be dangerous. as for your skimmer, there are a few good inexpensive one out now, what is your budget for a skimmer?

when live rock is imported/shipped it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to get to your LFS. they ship live rock out of the water and a lot of organisms die during this time. curing is when you(or your LFS) places it into a tank and the dead and dieing stuff has a chance to decompose and the bacteria in the rock has a chance to stabilize and convert the decomposition into less harmful nitrate. this usually takes about 4 weeks or until you cant detect ammonia or nitrite in the water. your LFS might have some or be willing to cure it for you, if not you can do it your self in a trash can

Thank you! I found a place that sells cured rock. I'm going this weekend. Now, I just need a better skimmer and lights.

Back