trying to pick a fish....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think the big tank is a a couple months out considering my boyfriend is supposed to be buying/getting it together and he is very slow.....

Now i currently do water changes twice a week of 9 gallons im a neat freak, plus our tank is like 3 feet away from a sick so its easy, Would the nitrogen still build up or would it be ok? The two fish i have now as im sure you know are bottom dwellers and i dont know if this is the right word but submissive types of fish? So i dont think they would get picked on because they hide all day anyways.

Even with doing water changes like i do, do you still think its not ok? I figured doing the water changes like i do it might be ok i should have put that in my op sorry.

Better yet is it bad to do two big water changes a week? I do everything right. lol

Unlike their freshwater 'relatives' the marine fishes require 'system space' for a number of reasons, including: swimming, biological filtrating, chemistries, and territory. More on that here: Fish Stocking Limit – for FO and FOWLR.

Frequent and large water changes keep the waste build up low. This is good, but water changes for instance don't improve nor expand biological filtration, provide for more territory, nor provide for more swimming space. Keep in mind the chemistry of what goes on between water changes. Hopefully your water changes do follow good guidelines like given here: How to Make a Successful Water Change.

If we set the above aside for the moment there is the final consideration: I believe you when you say you're getting a bigger system. Then why trauma a wild fish into having to acclimate to another disruption to its life? :)

Plan for your larger system. Planning is very good. Good luck! :D

Back