Tunze 6000, 6100 or Wavebox 6212?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

For a 180g Bowfront tank (72" x 29high x 18+) which would be my best choice for intank wave like circulation .
I've heard excellent reviews on the Tunze items.

I would like to get the polyps and softies swaying naturally back and forth.

Would the WaveBox 6212 be good, or should I consider 6000 or 6100 w/ a Tunze 7095 controller down the road, I like the expandability aspect. If so would the 6000 be good or should I seriously consider the 6100?

Thanks
Doug

I've had 2 Tunzes in my 75gal and loved them both. One was on a controller (6010 kit) and the other one wasn't adjustable (6100). In any event, I loved them both and if I had both on controllers, I would have gotten nice wave action in there. I've never used a Tunze wave box, but by the videos I've seen of it, It looks like you have to keep your water level lower than normal so it doesn't spill over the tank as it rocks back and forth. I guess someone will have to confirm that, but if you are hoping that it can be done without a wave box, I think opposing Tunzes (one on either end) hooked up to the contoller will do the trick. I guess rockwork will play a factor, but generally speaking, I've experienced what the smallest Tunze, the 6100 = 1600 gph can put out, as well as the 6010 kit = 1850 gph and was very impressed. On a 180 gal the 6100 may be a little weak, but still...I wouldn't underestimate it. Hopefully someone with a 180 gal (or a 6 footer) will chime in on how the flow of a Tunze travels across a tank that long. Here's a picture of the two tunzes I had when I had my 75gal on opposing ends. I'd describe the flow in there as turbulent more than anything seeing only one was on the controller:)

you can buy the 6000 and the upgraded transformer for it for the same price as the 6100. just a thought. great pumps thought.

Back