Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hawker

Blenny
Hello,

I am considering a Tunze 9002 for my Aquapod 12G (with hood) eventually to go on my Aquapod 24g when I get it setup. I was wondering a couple things about it.

1) What is the general opinion of this skimmer for a Nano cube? Is it efficient and quiet? Is it worth the money?

2) Does anyone have any experience using it on a Aquapod with a hood? Is there enough clearance for the hood to close?

Thanks in advance.

The Tunze 9002 is a great skimmer; I have one on my 29 gallon bio cube that was on my 24 gallon aquapod before. It skims pretty well and is pretty consistent; also easy to clean! The only problem you will have is that the collection cup part will not clear the lid; my 24 was open top with a 150 HQI Sunpod and my 29 Bio Cube I have open top with a 250 HQI.

Thanks calimorphreefer for the info. I was afraid that it wouldn't fit under the hood.

Does anyone know of a good skimmer that does fit under the hood of an Aquapod?

I know that there are HOB skimmers but I'm one of those people who doesn't like to cut their hood.

Hawker you may look into Aqua Euro; they have just released a line of nano skimmers that might work for you! Otherwise as long as you do constant weekly or bi weekly water changes and do not have a huge bio load you should be okay without a skimmer! I have friends that have done this and have had really good results with soft and even hard corals! Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Thanks again Calimorphreefer. You information is very helpful and I will check out the Aqua Euro skimmers.

I have been running this tank without a skimmer for about 3 years with pretty good results. I currently have a Royal Gramma, a Blenny, a yellow coral banded shrimp, LPS and soft corals. I do weekly water changes and try not to overfeed but lately the algae problem has been getting worse so I thought I would try a skimmer. I don't have quite the cleaner crew I used to so maybe I should increase that to start.

What I did that helped a little too was I added a poly reactor to the tank with some phosguard in it; you can also use the various other types of phos removal medias out there. That really seemed to help alot. The only thing is that the reactor has to be out of tank so you are going to have to find a way to get an out put an input tube outside of your tank in to the reactor. Do you have a chiller on this tank? If so running a reactor inline with the chiller is a great idea.

Back