Turbo Snails and Hair Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

abelltx

All my turbo snails seem to become completely lethargic does anyone the cause to this. I almost getting blooms of gold/orange hair algae all of sudden. 0 Phosphates and 20ppm nitrates.

Adam

Nitrates

cwby416 said:
:eek: any clue what is causing your spike in nitrates?

~Randy~

20ppm is a spike? Its never dropped below 20, I did three water changes and still could not get it below 20. (tried a new nitrate test kit too.)

Adam

Hi Adam, Welcome if I havent before.
Do you have a wet dry filter? Or do you have carbon or filter floss that is left in for more than say a week or so? That could be the cause of your nitrate.

Turbos are wierd snails in my mind. I usually recomend Asteria snails. They seem to do a whole lot better. Turbos usually starve to death, and then cause algae blooms in my experince.

Do you have a skimmer? If so what kind?
Have you tried feeding your turbo snails? I feed my fish, hermits, snails and what not, dried NORI algae. I get it at the Asian grocrery for 1.50 for a big pack. It is the algae used for making sushi.
Also what is your temp in the tank?

abelltx - I also would check the water change water for nitrates. That may be a contributor to your problem. Tell us a little more about your set-up. Skimmer, tank size, stock load, live rock, other filtration, ro/di?

Are the turbos lethargic or dieing? How many do you have? How bad is the algae? Is it hair like, or more snot like?

It sounds like you have some excess nutrients locked up somewhere.

The substrate can store large amounts of phosphate. I had a huge hair algae problem and finally figured out that my sandbed was leeching phosphates into the tank and feeding the algae growth. At the time, my tank had been up for a little over a year. I ended up removing the sand and am now hair algae free (knocks on wood...).

To check this, Nikki suggested to me that I take a sample of water from within the substrate and run a phosphate test. My P was between 1 & 3.

Just a thought.

I've seen turbos happy as clams cruiseing around in 160+ppm NO3 water. Along with a yellow tang and coral beauty and some other stuff that was all appeared to be in great health.

I doubt that the 20ppm NO3 is related to the snails issues. My guess would be some type of accidental metal poisoning or electricity leaking into the tank through something. I would try loading up a big sack of quality carbon for a day and see if it doesnt help. Then I would work to see if there could be stray electrical currents zipping around makeing trouble in the tank. I have seen both of those things cause turbos to act poorly.

Just my $0.02

Back