Twist lock flanges

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Really nice work Don! Man wish you would give an Acrylic class, you know the basics like gluing, procedures fitting pieces etc. I need to jump in & learn how to DIY Acrylic to the point that I would actually trust what I make would hold water LOL!

A little more. Actually just a test cut to make sure I setup the ramp jig properly.

Ive spent many hours trying to perfect a jig to cut the ramps. I'm only interested in cnc quality. I made spring loaded ones with giant wooden threads, some moved the plunge router down and others controlled the lift. All worked but were not cnc quality. It came to me one night while tying flies with my rotary vise. What an idiot, this is so simple. Makes cnc or better ramps out of a piece of scrap wood.:)

That's cool McGuyver!! Good thinking...If all else fails, buy a CNC machine:p I wonder what they go for these days :rolleyes:

krish75 said:
That's cool McGuyver!! Good thinking...If all else fails, buy a CNC machine:p I wonder what they go for these days :rolleyes:

I had a cnc router for awhile but it was always broken. Once you see a cnc do it job, you quickly figure out that there is nothing it can do that cant be done by hand with a little thought. You can get a little cheapo special for about $10K.

Don

hey krish, i wonder what the import fee would be on that little "cheapo"?

Stuff like that will probably be an additional 75% customs duty on top of shipping charges! My friend just bought a 4 wheeler from the US and the duty on them is 100%! So a $5,000 motorcycle will cost him $10,000 plus shipping :eek:

ok this is embarrasing but what's this for? :oops:

They look like discs for hockey but that's all it comes into my mind :p :oops:

Gosh that is crazy man why so much krish, why?

Sorry for the hijack Don, I'll be quick:p

That is one of the ways the Bahamian government gets their money to run the country. Just like you guys have income tax and sales tax, well we don't have either. It comes from the duty we pay mostly so they hit you hard on certain things, but atleast anything to do with computers is free (except a 5% stamp tax charge :lol:

spongebob lover said:
ok this is embarrasing but what's this for? :oops:

They look like discs for hockey but that's all it comes into my mind :p :oops:

Take a look at the flange on a deltec skimmer. Easy on and off flange, usually they are by molding the plastic.

Don

krish75 said:
Very nice and clean Don! Keep heading in that direction now:)

Thanks guys,

I need to decide what to put the flange on before building the female side.

Don

Please explain how to use the wooden plug.

Am I correct in thinking that you place the acrylic on the slanted plug then spin the entire unit past the router bit?

Do you index the acrylic to the same spot for each pass?

It sure looks more simple than the monstrosity I was playing with.

Thanks,
Dale

Back