Two questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

muss60

We recently bought a plate coral and for the past 2 weeks since we got it, it never moved. Last night I noticed it moved about 2 inches over. Do these things actually move on their own? (dumb question, don't laugh).

Second question. Is it normal for the coral that builds up on the glass to peel off after about 2 to 3 years? I have large sections starting to peel and wondered if this is normal?

Water parameters all good except nitrate a little high (3-5); doing regular water changes in the meantime.

Thank you

Last edited:
LOL! No problem...Sometimes when you change your lighting you will notice it will start to dissapear a bit. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't (happened to me one time when I switched from pc's to metal halides). Also, if you don't have the correct calcium and alk balance it will start to die back. If nothing has changed recently with lighting etc in your tank, then I'd check your calcium and alk levels, Just a thought :)

Thank you! Come to think of it, we did have a problem with our calc a while back; it was low... but is back up again. Thank you, you hit this one right on the nail! Appreciate your quick help.

Back