Two things for cyno

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1fishkeeper

Keeper of the algae
I was wanting to know if I could do two things to try to kill off the cyno that is going in my tank. I have done a three day black out with no inprovement. And I have also used chemi-clean with nothing. I have it going in my tank and the funny thing is everyone says get the flow up where its going. But the funny thing is I even have it on the output of my K4 blowing around. I have changed out my lights with no inprovement. And everything tests out good. I guess my question is can I do a black out and also use chemi-clean at the sametime to see if that will kill it off or will it cause problems if I do that?

do you have a sump? are you running ropwas (gfo)? what are you doing to your tank dosing wise vodka sugar? over feeding (nutrients) is what is feeding it flow is to help get from settling. details on your systems and what you do everyday for a week then most will be able to help you better. right now it is shooting in the dark also what inhabitants do you have in the tank.

Tank: 90 gallon
Sump: 30 gallon long with baffles added to it to make it 3 chambers
Lighting: 2X 250W 14K phoenix bulbs with 4X T5HO's antinc's. MH on for 8 hours T5HO's on for 10
Skimmer: ASM G2 Modded with mesh, gate valve, air feed
Reactor: Carbon and GFO
Cal Reactor: Euroreef
Fuge: 4" deep sand bed and
full of greens growing like crazy
Flow: 2X K4's and 2X K3's
Food: One frozen cube that changes everyday something new soaked in RO/DI water then rinsed.
Water changes: 25 gallons every two weeks
Fish:5 green cromies, 2 true percs, yellow tang, and soon if I can catch him he will be removed falco hawkfish
Corals: a mix of SPS and LPS
Tests: 0,0,0, PO4-0
RO/DI: 0 TDS
extras: there is a mix of snails and crabs in there also.

sounds like test kits are bad for atleast nitrates and phos if reading zero and you have cyano. flow seems to be ok are you dosing vodka or any other carbon source?

I had bad cyano problem in the past. It was a combination of bad flow and high phosphate. Maybe try a new test kit as mentioned above.

Nope Im not dosing vodka or anything like that. It has crossed my mind before but not right now. I do have new test kits in the mail as we speak. I ordered them friday so they should be here sometime next week.

Back