type of powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crete456

Hello...any suggestions on types of powerheads to use as far as heat,noise, and is a stationary output nozzle better than a rotating one...and where should they be positioned and pointed towards..thanks Denny

Seio or Tunze's.. Stay away from the power sweep power heads(Rotating Nozzle). They work for a little while then stop once coraline starts. Maxi-Jets are great also if you looking for a direct flow type pattern.

I typically like to point mine towards the front of the tank. This prevents the direct blast onto things and offers the best deflection. I also try to hide 1 or 2 down behind rock etc. to help prevent dead spots.

What size tank are you going to be using them in? Also what do you plan on keeping in the tanks. SPS, LPS, Softies etc. The buttom line is how much do you want to spend and what type of flow you're looking for.

Seio or Tunze's.. Stay away from the power sweep power heads(Rotating Nozzle). They work for a little while then stop once coraline starts. Maxi-Jets are great also if you looking for a direct flow type pattern.

I agree with James. I've had both Seios and Tunzes and was pleased with both. I also pointed my flow at the front of the tank and as a result, I didn't have any deadspots in the tank at all. The sea-swirl was the only other added flow I had to the tank (at about 750gph) before I took the tank down to swap over to my current cube. Here's a picture to show you what I meant about my placement. This was taken right before the swap. HTH and good luck:)

i second James...do not buy a Powersweep by Zoomed...they are junk..i hav e had two of them..the flow is laughable!!! they also only rotate for weeks , sometimes a month or two...mine quit almost right off....i bought the other thinking the 1st one was defective....i was right, they are all defective...i am buying some Seio's today..they work well..one of our sponsers, Custom Aquatics has them for sale right now!!!!

Maxijets know how to do the job and there's a mod you can do to them so you get more flow out of them :) .... in fact Bradreef is an expert on how to do the mods.

I have powerheads and yes they're good but Seios seem to work better, I've been trying to get one since i haven't tested them yet but so far i hear they're great.
You should post how big is your tank and all that stuff so people can let you know which powerhead to get.

Stick with seios if your on a budget. They can be set up like tunzes and move a lot of water. Try and set it up so that ther is one in the back corner of the tank and they each are pointing to the center of the front of the tank.

Back