U tube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kendog261

Does any one know where I can buy a larger diameter U-tube for my overflow?

IMG_4603b.JPG

Not sure how large of diameter you're looking for but most LFS will have them. Instead of replacing the one you have with a larger diameter, another option would be to add a second U-tube. That's what I did in my overflow to double my flow. Worked great!! I had to go with a larger return pump...but that was the idea.

I built an extra out of spare pvc parts I had. Two elbows and about 12" of pipe, costs less than a buck.
-chris

yep I agree .I have two and tired of the between one and other. erhh I am going to try use a foot of dishwasher drain tubing or something close to that from homedepot. not everyone is rich so not drilling the tank assume the same for u huh.

Tap plastics has clear pipe, you could have opaque elbows? There is a minimum of 6' on online orders, but you may be able to buy 12" at one of their stores? There is one in Bellevue and Seattle, or try ebay.
-chris

I dont know what kind of experience you have with the clear u tubes.. but mine is anything but good. They are always growing unwanted algae.. which release and catch oxygen bubbles.. slowly losing siphon.. I swithed to solid pvc.. (made my own) and I have not lost suction due to algae build up since. (almost 8 months) I have lost siphon due to the sump getting low and bubbles getting blown into the tank.. the micro bubbles make thier way to the u tube and get stuck and build up.. Anyhow... point is.. get away from clear if possible. Just my opinion!.

I dont know what kind of experience you have with the clear u tubes.. but mine is anything but good. They are always growing unwanted algae.. which release and catch oxygen bubbles.. slowly losing siphon.. I swithed to solid pvc.. (made my own) and I have not lost suction due to algae build up since. (almost 8 months) I have lost siphon due to the sump getting low and bubbles getting blown into the tank.. the micro bubbles make thier way to the u tube and get stuck and build up.. Anyhow... point is.. get away from clear if possible. Just my opinion!.

I agree with the NO clear. Mine built up, and caused the tank to overflow:( THANK God I was home when it did it!!! What a mess. No Clear reinforced pluming in sump either. Dam algae magnets:razz:

You can make one out of PVC elbows with a slip x slip x MPT Tee fitting in the top section with an MPT x 1/4 airline speedfit threaded in(for air escape). Then you can apply an aqua lifter for an almost care free overflow. You can check proper function daily by using clear airline on the outflow of the aqua lifter(just check for proper water flow through the airline) I used this design on a tank for almost a year with minimal problems.

J tubes really need a aqualifter or a powerhead venturi to be anything close to reliable.

Don

yeah guys thinkin the same, a power head in the sump for flo and the air vent plumbed into the top of the tube. just like the oh hell whats the comp the one overflo box that needs the same affect u get the idea. some one needs to patten the idea sell it change the idea 10 percent and sell the hell out of them l.o.l.

I used a 2" trap which is basically two 90's in one and then some 2" pipe and I glued in a siphon tube with valve so far so good

Kendog, that's not a bad idea!! How's it working? Any chance of pics? I have 2 U tubes in mine right now. I've drilled a tiny hole in the top of each for air evac. I liked the idea of using T fittings and PVC piping as well. I don't have a powerhead or aqualifter hooked up to mine but have considered doing that. Just as mentioned above, I've got a sump that I've been thinking about adding a powerhead to for better circulation of the Chaeto. If I did that, I'd just hook up a hose from the U tube to the PH venturi.

Back