Underwater Sports Mantis tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

so me and a few co workers decided it was time to build a tank for work. this is what we came up with still a work in progress. its a 20long with part of it sectioned off. A mantis is really all we plan on keeping. let me know what you guys think. i cant decide if i want to paint the outside black where i sectioned it off at.

Last edited:
Very cool! What kind of business is this?

Nick

What return pump did you end up using? One thing I forgot to mention on the paint I used was that it seems to be pretty durable. The reason why I got the plastics kind was that I painted the acrylic on the inside with the same paint. Also, I used flat black so it would kind of match the framing.

Underwater sports is a dive shop. My questions is which shop is this going into?

I think they need a coldwater tank to show people what they can see in the puget sound

well plans might be foiled before we got started i took it into work today (the seattle store) and the owner gave me evil eyes i used a maxi jet 1200 for return i had it running at home and was happy with the flow, i would love to do a coldwater tank but this a cheap alternative to hopefulling getting the ball rolling

Coldwater tanks are much less expensive than a reef tank. Need to buy a chiller that can handle the load, but lighting is minimal...

Nick

Fingers crossed the owner changes their mind. What better place than a dive shop?
Excellent on the 1200 for return, that's what I have ready to put in.

yes he is a little concerned that the floor staff wont leave the repair room once we set it up, and rightfully so cause mantis are soooo coooool

lol...need to put it out in the store area for the customers to stare at. Tell the owner you will increase sales since people will see the mantis and ask if they can see that here....then you have to tell them all the cool stuff they can find in our frigid waters (as you walk them over to the dry suit section <ca-ching>) lol....I know I left my wallet on the counter of that store more than once.

I think you guys should get a pimpin display tank!
Talk to the boss or have him stop by , I think we could help talk him into a nice setup:)
Also I think a pistol/goby pair would be just as cool . The Mantis my hide alot.

ARSA

Last edited:
well plans might be foiled before we got started i took it into work today (the seattle store) and the owner gave me evil eyes i used a maxi jet 1200 for return i had it running at home and was happy with the flow, i would love to do a coldwater tank but this a cheap alternative to hopefulling getting the ball rolling

see this month's issue of http://www.advancedaquarist.com

you guys are killin me with the cold water tank talk, if this goes well and we dont have any problems im gonna try and push for one, so the bosses never said we could set it up but at the same time they never said no so we put some water in it haha crappy cell phone pics sorry, the first one is the first section with LR rubble and cheato i make my own filter socks so i put one on to help clean up the cloudyness with the sand, 2nd was whole tank shot i didnt think the table was gonna hold it but my who is 200 pounds decided to jump on it to show me it not going anywhere.

Very cool indeed. But you guys are going to hide it in the repair room and not put it in the showrrom area? *lol*

I would agree with doing a coldwater tank and havbe it on display so soon to be divers could see all the wonders of life that we have in the Pacific Northwest. I really need to get wet again.

Cheers,
Alex

small update pics

so we decided to do an order from macro rocks and it finally came in. the rock is amazing, we also got the light up its a 4 bulb t5 nova extreme. so far we have re aquascaped everyday haha we have 1st little diatom bloom as well hope it clears up soon

macro rocks? they look white .

Hey guys , I found a rainbow mantis shrimp on a list today , but its spendy:cry:.

Let me know if you guys want me to try to get it in , they probably only have one or two.

those lights look sweet!

ARSA

Beoks, looking at the fuge/return area, do you have any macro algae in there? Reason I ask is it looks like you have rock on the fuge side which I wouldn't do. You're going to be getting detritus sitting on the rock. If you put it on the return pump side, the pump can pull it off the rock and swish it around easier. This will stop detritus from collecting on the rock.

ahh yes we do have both there is cheato but we have also added filter floss between the two so it goes live rock rubble on bottom filter floss than a ball of cheato which rolls quite nice i was surprized

Back