Unhappy Toad Stool Leather

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pblutang

I have a Toad Stool Leather that I got a week ago. It's about 3"x4". It was a pretty big frag. I glued it to some rock (gel super glue) but it keeps coming off. It was starting to open up. Now I have it wedge between some rocks not glued to anything and this is what it looks like. What is the best way to secure this guy? what type of flow and lighting do they typically like?
toadstoolleather.jpg

well for one you dont superglue leathers. all you have to do is use some thread or a rubberband.

also what is your tank perameters?

I used a couple rubberbands to secure it to a rock. Now it's gonna be pissed because it's in a straight jacket.. LOL. How long should I keep it rubber banded? It's a pretty big, heavy peice of toad stool.

all you need to rubberband is the stalk. not the whole leather i left mine on for 1 month to make sure it took a foothold on the rock

Pic of what NOT to do.. Ok.. I'll rubber band the stock or I may have to use some thread. It's a really short peice of stalk. Thanks for helping me with this!!
toadstool.jpg

I had one, just bought and was holding on to it paremeters great and looked great! one day I touched it and totally disengreated in front of my eyes! be carefull! just saying!

You can rubberband any part of it, just not too tight or else it will cut it and separate. Place it in a low flow area until it fully attaches. The key is to have the rubberband on the least time possible because the rubberband prevents some of the polyps from coming out. More polyps = quicker healing process. Good luck!

I have seen them just placed into a tupperware with some rubble rock and the top covered with vail to prevent it from floating away. It attaches in a week or two.

When I want to secure a leather coral that is loose, I take 2 small pieces of live rock and trap the base of the coral between the 2 rocks, and then use a rubber band on the rocks.
I've found that using a rubber band on the coral itself, has a tendency to cut into the coral and sometimes cut all the way.

Thanks for everyone's input. All great ideas. I rubber banded the stalk to a rock last night and placed it in low flow area. It's looking a little happier this morning.

toadstoolsmile.jpg

Back