Unknown coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyDog2

Clam Eater
Hope that this is the right place to ask for help...I received a coral from Tracy (Palouse) before she left and she didn't know what it was. Here are a couple pictures. It is a beautiful orange color and seems to plate...it had three individual plates on the rock and i fragged one off.

I would agree that the first pic looks like a Pavona. I think the second one looks like an Echinophyllia of some kind or maybe a chalice. But I don't know much as I'm still learning the hobby myself. Good luck!!

great guesses everyone but here's the rub...they are actually the same...one is still in the back of the tank under MH lights and the frag got moved to the front so I could take a close up picture and probably has more actinic light on it. When they were side by side they were identical...just goes to show how photography can make or break a frag for sale. I thought having the two pictures would help in the identification...but maybe it just confused it. All input is greatly appreciated. Keep em coming!

DARTHV247...just checked your site and I agree...Metallic Orange Pavona is a dead ringer...thanks. I have a Pavona but it is brilliant lime green...had no idea that they also came in orange.

Thanks again everyone.

Back