Unknown crab. pest or not

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitkat

Found this little fella in my tank. It's about 1/2 inch across mybe a bit bigger. Managed to catch him and put him into the sump tank. Any idea if it is friend or foe?
Does he deserve a life of exile :(

Attachments

• crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    86.1 KB
Last edited:
Crabs in general are pretty mean, in my opinion. In the past, mine killed off most of my snails (despite having plenty of extra shells in their tank) and would pick at coral. They are meat eaters, after all. I keep very few in my tank (2 at the moment, both very small), because snails and shrimp can do just about the same that crabs can in a sense of cleaning. I would advise to play it safe, and leave him in the sump, or find him a home in someone's FOWLR tank :) Just my $0.02.

Crabs help alot but I belive that one is a gorrilla somthing and they get big and eat anything

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

I second the others in that you don't want it in your tank. Given the shape and size of its claws, it is definitely a predator.

I have very little knowledge on this subject except to say there are many benifitial crabs that host corals, protect them, and keep them clean( and poop on them and bring them food)....but I would chance it either lol.

Don't just kill it though. Someone out there who has a FOLR could give him a home!! He does look pretty nasty though!!

It's amazing what can HitchHike in with live rock!!!

TO THE SUMP!!! heh, as crabs typically eat debris, might be a good benificial down there. My emerald crab is massive - started off around 3/4" across and is now a good 2" or more, massive claws. I hand him pices of nori and clam periodically to keep them at bay.

Back