Unknown Creature or Coral ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

I recently aquired a rainbow ricordea for free with a recent purchase and it had this hard thing on the rock that I decided to leave alone for a while.
Well that hard thing has decided to move onto one of my main display rocks in my tank and I'd really like to get an id on this thing before I decided to cut it off or something.

Thanks,
Alex

IMG_0467.jpg

If it is a cuke (and it looks to be), you DON'T want to cut it off, but you may want to remove it. Go do a bunch of research about cukes. But the short of it is, they can kill off your tank because they carry toxins which get released when they get cut up (think power head) or picked on enough. Some cukes are much less trouble than others and many people have had them for a long time with no problems. Then again, there are tons of "this guy I know lost his entire tank due to a cuke" stories.

Some are filter feeders (like the Sea Apple, which is quite beautiful but also one of the "worst"), and some are sand sifters. IIRC, the sand sifters tend to be safer but they'll generally decimate a sand bed in no time, then starve.

Thanks Atavus. I'll have to Google that and get some info.

I have tried to peel the creature off of the rock and have found that it will not budge. Guessing that if I will need to remove it from my tank I'll have to chip the rock a bit.

I'm pretty sure its the smaller filter feeder kind. Look very cool when open and tend to stay smaller. Sorry I dont know any kind of name :(

That is what I am thinking too. At least from what I have read on these guys. I guess I shall leave it be for the time and just make sure that it does not follow when I start moving things into my 65 gallon tank this summer.

Back