Unknown specimen(s) in tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mahoney

img3226cd.jpg

(Crummy picture--kinda grainy, sorry. You can see it in the edge of the last picture as well. Was attached to live rock when added to tank. diameter between a nickel and a quarter. firm to the touch. has not changed since piece of rock was added 10.27.12)

These next two pictures are of something black (bottom of the picture) that I did not originally notice on the live rock I added. It is on the same rock as the white specimen. Hard to get a picture of, sorry. It is also firm to the touch.
img3227qu.jpg

img3228q.jpg

Are these some sort of fungus? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

The Yellow is definately a sponge. Good stuff!
The black I believe is sponge also, but not sure.

Also--random question--when cleaning my tank the past 3 months or so, I've noticed when I've accidentally brushed gently against one of my hammer corals, over the next couple days, I've had a severe rash on my forearm where it touched it that will last for weeks and itch like MAD. Is that normal? I didn't know they could do that. In all the time my husband took care of the tank before me, he never had that issue. Maybe I just have sensitive skin? Like i said, I've only barely brushed against it on accident when cleaning the tank....

Nope, not really. They filter feed. Here is a little info.
Marine Sponges: History, Morphology & Care

Yes you can be very sensitive to coral sting. And those type coral do sting. Everyone is different. You are going to have to be very careful doing anything in the tank. Reacting like that, you should really not be exposing yourself to the water or anything in it. If you can find some good rubber gloves to wear it would help.

Back