unknwon from solomon islands.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

typo

hey kevin, i was wondering if you could help me id this guy. i comes from solomon island and i have been using verons corals of the world. the closest coral in that book that resembles what i have is acropora samoensis. is this correct of do you think otherwise?

purpleuknown.jpg

this was taken without flash and show the corals true color
purpleuknown.jpg

that would be really tough to even guess on because it doesn't really even have a growth form yet..

you will have to see how it grows out. could be macrostoma, could end up many things.. never know.

Hello and welcome to RF!

Your pictures are not clear enough to make out the corallites very well. Near the bottom of the picture some of the corallites look like A. sarmentosa but I have only seen green or yellow of that species.
A. globiceps may be a good candidate (pg. 317) Notice the wide range of growth forms, especially the detail in plate 5. A. globiceps is well within the distribution area of the Solomons. I think you will have to wait and see how it grows out for a better chance at identification. A nice looking coral no matter what the species :)

Regards,
Kevin

eek the pictures are the same! i am not quite right in the head. guess i should set the bong aside when doing these things lol heres a better colored close up much clearer.

i do agree with yall though i think im going to have to let it grow out some to really know.

purpleunkncloseup.jpg

Last edited:
I just got these recently from the slomans also . One has blue polyps and the pther white. Do they look like yours . Color is really close.

120-nov-17thb.jpg

It can only be PM if it can be traced back to Tyree. Nice corals tho guys.

I believe it will change growth form drastically in captivity and the polyps will elongate and look like A. granulosa or A. loripes. I could also be wrong, time will tell :)
The pictures are not clear/close enough to show the corallite detail.

Regards,
Kevin

Back