updated sps photos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snappy

clever title goes here
Been a whlie since I posted pictures, so here's a few recent random sps (mostly top down) shots from my tank.
Monti
June_29_07_005_16_monti_1_11.jpg

A rosaria?
June_10_07_009a_rosaria1_11.jpg

Stylo (rainbow color morph)
july_16_07_025stylo_top_down11.jpg

Tri-color (a bonsai?)
july_16_07_017tri_color11.jpg

A selago?
June_23_07_111a_selago11.jpg

Tort
july_16_07_040tort11.jpg

Misc.
july_16_07_045mille_11.jpg

Really nice! You have some beautiful corals. I was going to say which one I liked best but couldn't decide. :lol:

lookin' good....the selago looks like a tenuis to me or is it my eyes. I do have a selago that was from the old Aquarium City.

Sue I know they are similar in a lot of ways so maybe you're right. When that piece was smaller it looked very close to the picture in this link.
Here is a link to A selago
http://www2.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/001-100/Pix/63-06.htm

Here is a photo of what I believe is an a tenuis in my reef. They are quite close in many ways but have different coralite growth.
June_23_07_110_a_tenuis11.jpg

Last edited:
The corallites on my selago, which Tyree id'd from the old LFS Aquarium City, are more smooth for lack of a more/better technical description. It is blue and has a different growth form, it's a bit more open then clustered. The corallites are much more smooth and the polyps aren't quite a fleshy. Tyrees word not mine. LOL..

HI Greg,
The A. selago I've seen has thinner branches that break rather easily (even by a fish bumping them). The leading corallites are more elongated and the radial corallites are taller. Compare the skeletal pictures in Veron's COW book.

Trying to ID most Acropora corals when they are small is extremely difficult unless it's something quite obvious and then usually no one asks for an ID :)

Regards,
Kevin

Whoa...beautiful man....wish I had those in my tank...especially the tri-color one....

Reeferdude Very nice!

seismic Whoa...beautiful man....wish I had those in my tank...especially the tri-color one....

FFrankie Where do you get your corals? Are they from an on line source or lfs?
Thanks you guys. FFrankie, I get some at LFS and some online and I do a lot of trading with other reefers. I enjoy trading the most because there is little guess work for what the frag can grow in to.

Back