upgrade question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

malmom

So I had intended on selling my tank but because of the economy I just don't feel like giving it away which is pretty much what I would have to do.... Its time to change my bulbs which are vhos but instead I was thinking of upgrading to t5s. What is every one's opinions on that??? I feel It will end up costing less in the long run. I pretty much just have a few fish, shrimp, polyps, frogspawn, mushrooms and duncans. I had thought about metal halides but my house get so hot it heats my tank up to much I cant imagine trying to keep up with the halide heat to. A chiller is just not a option for me either..... So if I decide to go with the t5s I know I have to get different end caps but will the ballast work with the t5s? I have a 150 gallon tank 72" long and 26" from the top of the water to the substrate....Any opinions would be great.....Thank you!!!!

depending on ballast you may need a new one and for the end caps you will need for sure.... I know the store blue serria in renton has them in stock .... but cost will be roughly the same depending on if you order bulbs online or from a lfs thats where the big difference's will be. I would talk to TJL on the fourms From my understanding he has a great set up with VHO's

I think you will be happy with the T5s. They don't put out too much heat. One of the PC lights on our 14g went out. We initially had put a 150W which was too much and evaporation was such a problem.

We retrofitted T5's in the hood and it has worked well! Here's a picture!

DSC05860ARW.jpg

Back