Upgrading lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

Since I just got a new job i've decided I want to upgrade my lighting...not too over the top but plenty to where i'll never have to buy any again. I was thinking about going with the 150 W HQI Sunpod, in which a guy is selling on the forums with the existing bulb, used 8 months, and a new bulb for $200 shipped. The price online of these is $250 + shipping. Is there anything else out there that you guys know of that may be a better deal? I almost got a Corallife Clip on 150 w MH for $150 but the guy sold it..

What size tank is this for? In any event, I had the 150w HQI over my 24gal Aquapod and it's a great light. Infact, if you look at Scooty's project X thread (Scooterman) you can see the same fixture over his big 4ft tank which he has on there temporarily. It will give you an idea on just how well that little light works. :)

The 150w HQI over your 29g cube should be great. Like Krish75, I've got the same light on an aquapod 24, and it's more than enough for whatever you'll want to keep in the future. I'm really glad I got this light instead of PC. Everything in the tank just eats it up (literally) and grows like crazy!
Heat will be a bit of an issue with any MH you get. You'll probably have to ditch the hood or any kind of tank cover. But for me, I like the look of the tank with no hood, and the Sunpod is sits nicely about 8-10 inches above the tank. IMO, an uncovered tank also allows for better gas exchange at the air/water interface. Just be careful of buying fish known to carpet surf!
A small clip on fan blowing on the water's surface (either the display tank or the sump) also works wonders to keep the temperature stable. Mine is on an hourly timer so I can vary the on/off cycles for hot/cool days.
On the price, I've seen used ones for $150 but not much cheaper, and I'm not sure what a new bulb costs. With the shipping and new bulb, I'm guessing you're in that ball park.

Good Memories!

Ok, I just got done getting hints about upgrading lighting. I am full of oppinions. Here are things that increase lighting. You upgrade to better reflectors, keep your reflectors clean, You inprove your water quality which improves lighting inside your tank. You aquascape so lighting hits all areas of your tank. This ones for you Sanjay! Thanks!:)

This would be the type of lighting I would be looking for if I had a nano I was trying to light. Might also want to look into some light fixtures with T5's they're pretty good also. But you cannot beat a good MH.

I just purchased one of those cheap "hombby" fixtures from fleabay for my 20H. It has to actinic 65W PC's and one HQI 250W MH. I heard different opinions about quality and such, but the ballast is electronic and the price is right... $179 shipped for 24"

Back