upgrading tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cobyb

when i switch all crushed coral, live rock, fish and corals in to a larger tank with a lot more water will it be safe. or is it going to go through a nother cycle. i will be going from a 55 to a 120.

thank you

Last edited:
I believe it will cause a cycle. The tank parameters will have changed and the bio load to surface area is also changed. Unless you could some how transport all your items with out some how disturbing the bacteria in it, you will almost certainly have a cycle. It may be much shorter and or short enough that you don’t even notice it because the basis of the system is still there, its just a bit out of whack.

I would doubt it, it sounds like you know a about your tank. Just keep an eye out for the ammonia spike if you get one. This could be bad for the fish. The corals on the other hand would depend on your coral types some are very hardy and some do not like change. Just keep a close eye on it and have water ready for water changes if needed quickly.

coby
when you move your live rock just make sure you move it quickly in to water as to not let it get exposed to air for very long. And your crushed coral i assume your using as substrate that can really trap detritus. If that tank has been set up for some time i personally would move everything to a bare bottom or to new substrate and either get rid of the crushed coral or dry, bake and vigorously fresh water wash it, and dry it, to get rid of the bacteria on it and slowly add it back to the system.

The worst part about moving a tank or doing what your doing is messing with the substrate there are hidden hand grenades of evil in there. :)

good luck

As long as the old substrate was less than 2" or so it will be free of toxic anaerobic bacteria and IMO could/should be used to seed new system. remove all LR and livestock first, then most of old water, then rinse sand in remainig water before moving into new tank. This will keep all the beneficial bacteria alive along with any good critters that reside in it. I have done this many times over the years and relate it to the success I've had in moving intact reef systems. If what you have is indeed somewhat course crushed coral gravel then I would advise that additional substrate be of the fine variety. This will do two things: fill in the voids of the course substrate and the course will will keep the fine sand from blowing allover your tank.

Todd

+1 for Todds info. That is what I did when I upgraded from a 55 to a 125. I didn't have another cycle. Also, I would advise to not add anything new for a little while after the move. Let everything settle.

I agree with Todd's recommendations, I have switched tanks several times, using the old substrate in that manner. Typically you will get a small cycle but nothing that is dangerous to the livestock.

It would probably be a good idea to have a QT type tank setup to put the fish/corals in while you let the DT settle and get the parameters in order, and in case of a small spike you won't have to worry about losing anything. Have fun with bigger tank!!

Back