Upgrading to a bigger tank question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lionhead

Ive been thinking about upgrading to a bigger tank for a while now. The biggest tank I have is a 75 gallon. I was thinking of going bigger.. Somewhere at or between 100 gallons to maybe 180 gallons.

Ive never gone bigger than 75 gallons since my house is old and it has a crawlspace. I fear that if I go bigger, the tank might be too heavy that it would collapse the floor.

Anyone out there whos local that have gone thru the same experience that can help me find the answers? Like findng the right people to talk to and check if my floor can support the weight of a bigger tank? Im in the Seattle area..

Suggestions, comments, ideas please.. Thanks..

I added a 180 on my first floor running parallel to the floor joists. I added a cross-support under the joists directly bearing the tanks weight. I am sure you would want to get in your crawl space and inspect what you have and if in doubt add bracing. You probably need to provide a bit more info if you want more detailed feedback, like age of home, floor joist size/spacing, distance of span, location of tank, type of subfloor and planned location of tank relative to supports, ie perpidicular or parallel or corner of room versus middle.

I was actually hoping someone would take a look at it. I dont want to take the chance of making a mistake. Since I dont know much about what to look at I dont want to risk it. Would prefer to have an expert come and take a look at it. Anybody out there know anyone?

It will depend on how the stand is built. If the stand has legs, that create contact points, this could be a problem, as all the weight will be distributed over 4 or 6 points. However, I highly doubt the stand would be built that way. Most will be built in a way that the weight is distributed along the entire bottom of the stand. In this way, the tank will actually not weigh much more, per square inch, than your previous or current 75. It's actually something people worry about a lot, when they don't need to. The larger tanks spread the weight over a greater area, so the weight on any given point is no more than on a smaller tank of the same height. The only way a tank can gain weight per square inch is with taller tanks. A taller tank will weigh more per square inch than a shorter tank. For instance, a 90 will weigh more per square inch than a 75...same foot print, but taller. Now if the 90 was in a 6 foot tank, or a 24" wide tank, it would weigh the same per square inch.

I was looking at probably a 130 0r 120 gallon acrylic. Wider and longer.. I didnt get the exact measurements.. The stand doesnt have legs but is also made of acrylic. (would this be an issue? in terms of supporting the tank)

I also have atleast 3 to 4 huge live rocks im planning to put in it together with the rest of the other rocks.. Plus sand ofcourse..

Though weight would be distributed, dont I have to consider how the floor is supported under though? Thats the part I want to make sure is ok.. Because if I go ahead with the bigger tank then I screw up and have the floor collapse on me, that would mean totally giving up the hobby due to the disaster it caused. I dont want that to happen. Which is why I trying to make sure the floor can carry the weight. But since I dont have any knowledge of what to look at.. I really do prefer someone whos an expert to check it out for me.

Well, you need to find out which ways your floor joists run. You want the tank sitting perpendicular to your floor joists. This way, the length of the tank is supported by the most floor joists possible, spreading the weight out between more of them. Also, having your tank on an exterior wall or bearing wall will offer more support, because then floor joists will be supported directly underneath that.

I have no idea about an acrylic stand. I'm assuming it's made for the tank? I'd contact some of the members who have experience working with acrylic on that question.

you really want more room front to back. that will open up loads of space. a 75 is better than a 55, but you and your fish will have more room if your tank is bigger front to back..

you really want more room front to back. that will open up loads of space. a 75 is better than a 55, but you and your fish will have more room if your tank is bigger front to back..

This tank has that room which was why I wanted it. But before I buy something that big, I want to make sure my floor can support it.

Back