Urchin...eat corals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

hey all ive gone up to barrier reef several times trying to figure out what has been going on in my tank due to the fact that everyday the corals seem to get worse and worse looking they have tested it with Elos line of test kits and everything tests out where it should be then i went over to my buddies house and he had a urchin in his reef and when i went over there it was gone i guess it had eaten all of his mushrooms .....is this a common thing and is it possible that if they where to just nibble on the corals it would stress them out enough just to close up and die? any input on this would be great..

thanks

I have seen long spine urchins much on some corals. I have also seen tux-urchins scratch up acyrilic buy muching the alge off it.

I have had trouble with a Pencil Urchin I believe it to be a Eucidaris species took a liking to my Blue Ridge Coral Heliopora Coerulea I moved it to another tank and have not had any more coral eating issues with it. However it sure knocks down allot of my frags...

yeah i took him out and put him in another tank..the day after i posted this i saw him ontop of my xenia frag so i pulled him off and all there was left was the root of the xenia heh so he was obviously a problem but not too sure on what is going on in the tank cause my perfectly healthy mimic tang died in a matter of 2 hours....my best guess on that would be cyano on a little peice of rock that i was going to clean out when i did my water change but yesterday when i went to do my water change the cyano was gone...so something ate it =(

I too HAD a long spine that when it was over any of my monties it DID plow through them.
ATE a nice track over the frags. (superman monties)

Back