Urchins

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

So one item on our prospective stock list that I am wondering about is a Tuxedo Urchin. I have a couple concerns; are they so hard on coraline algae it would ruin the prospect of the back of my tank getting covered in it, and would a Sixline Wrasse try to snack on the urchin? If those of you who have housed these critters could give me your input and experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

Shane

I don't know about the sixline, but I have had a Tuxedo Urchin in my125 and I have all sorts of coraline on the back of my DT and all over the rock. The urchin does eat coraline, but if your tank has a headstart, should be ok. I certainly haven't had any problems. I will add that if a frag isn't fixed to the rock they will knock it over. Same is true when it finds your frag rack, but still not a problem as it takes a while to make it's way around the tank.

So one item on our prospective stock list that I am wondering about is a Tuxedo Urchin. I have a couple concerns; are they so hard on coraline algae it would ruin the prospect of the back of my tank getting covered in it, and would a Sixline Wrasse try to snack on the urchin? If those of you who have housed these critters could give me your input and experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

Shane

I have a Tuxedo Urchin in my 75 and I still have a lot of coraline on the back glass. Mine seems to eat hair algae as well, and cruises around slowly. They do knock some things over. I dont know either about the Wrasse.

Thanks for the input guys. I will keep searching to the answer to the wrasse question before I purchase either for my tank. But hopefully both will work.

I will say pay attention. My ex-urchin from my first tank use to sneak attack me...They are remarkably fast when they want to be. White vinegar makes things better.

Back