urgent help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hello,
From looking at your picture and parameters. I will guess that your problem started from the increase in lighting intensity. If the corals were doing fine until the lighting change it is logical that increased intensity is the cause. Algae growth can be quickly triggered even in a very clean tank because the dead coral tissue provides food for the algae at that specific location. If you are having algae issues in other parts of your tank then nutrient buildup needs to be addressed.

Water flow, like lighting is not so much a function of x amount per gallon but quality. A well dispersed flow at alternating intervals is better than mounting several power-heads and providing static laminar flow in very high velocity and GPH.

Alkalinity of 7 dKH is not a reason for concern although I personally like 8.3 dKH (2.97 meq/L) as my target.

In an ideal environment nitrate and phosphate should be undetectable in a shallow water high light reef tank. It is the result of your input load and export mechanisms being in balance.

HTH,
Kevin

Hello,
From looking at your picture and parameters. I will guess that your problem started from the increase in lighting intensity....In an ideal environment nitrate and phosphate should be undetectable in a shallow water high light reef tank.
HTH,
Kevin

Kevin, where do you get the idea that this is a shallow water high light tank???

Kevin, where do you get the idea that this is a shallow water high light tank???
From the pictures of the shallow water Acropora corals :lol:
I see a Acropora humilis in one of the pictures that are often out of water at low tide. So a shallow water environment should be attempted to provide a suitable habitat.

Regards,
Kevin

How are you testing your Nitrates and P04? The only way to get a decent reading on your p04 is a hannah meter. If your using a kit then I'd say its WAY off.

Good luck.
Chris

Back