Uri VHO bulbs.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716

tava716
Happy Monday to you all!

Those of you using URI VHO bulbs, are you using the (VHO, T12) AQUA-D Blue Super Actinic R, 110W or the VHO, T12) Super Actinic R, 110W?

Here are the links to the ones I am thinking of getting.
http://www.hellolights.com/48vt1aqblsua.html
or
http://www.hellolights.com/superactinicr2.html

I plan on running 3 actinic (two 48inch and one 36inch) and then eigther one 48inch 50/50daylight or 10K. Not sure if I should use 50/50 or 10K.....
http://www.hellolights.com/aquasun2.html
or
http://www.hellolights.com/48vt1aqwhda5.html

THanks for the advise!

James

Get the second one.

The AQUA-D does not have an internal reflector, which is why it is slightly cheaper.

Best,
Ilham

My preference if you are talking about a 4-bulb setup is this: 2x Actinic White (12k) URI VHO and 2x Super Actinic (blue) VHO, staggered from front of tank on top to the back of the tank on the bottom:

front of tank.

|=================================| Super Actinic

|=================================| Actinic White (12k)

|=================================| Super Actinic

|=================================| Actinic White (12k)

IMo, the AquaSuns are 'too pink' and definitely will make your tank look 'pink' when they get older. You can experiment if you want and stick an AquaSun for an Actinic White. The above configuration is my preference, though.

Best,
Ilham

I definately hate seeing the pink in some of the tanks at my LFS. I will steer clear of that. What is considered an actinic white? I did not see a Uri actinic white on Hellolight's site. Is a 10K or a 50/50 considered actinic white?

Thanks!

Oops! Found them. THey have 50/50 actinic white.

Running 2 actinic white and 2 actinic does not make the tank too blue?

Not trying to hijack here or anything (eventhough I don't think my buddy James would mind and it may be useful to him;) ) but can having too much of a certain spectrum cause a problem? Like say for example a light fixture containing 75% blue actinic spectrum and only 25% 10K white spectrum? I was just curious if you had to have 50/50 spectrum all of the time to know which bulbs you would need to go with in a particular fixture or setup.

Good questions Krish! Oh, by the way.... You are always welcome to hijack my threads! :)

to answer your question, I think the white light is so intense that it will balance out the blues (even if it only 25% or so). I could be wrong..... Maybe someone else has a better answer.

I would say when using flourescent fixtures not to exceede 50% of your total wattage as actinic blue. While light in the blue spectrum is the most useable by corals, it is by no means the only spectrum that they need. The pattern that Elmo18 outlined with 2 blubs each of actinic blue and 12,000K would be a pretty good balance. It will appear a litte on the blue/purple side as far as the human eye is concerned when looking at the tank for my taste, however.

MikeS

Thanks Mike for the info...Smartty pants(LOL):D

James, for now I just have a coralife 130w pc fixture with 50/50 bulbs in it. I'm using the low lighting to get my coraline growing good before I upgrade in about 6 months or so to bigger, better, brighter lights when I go to add a few corals. I've read that coraline grows much better under lower light so that is my main objective right now as my rocks were pretty bare, but are coloring up now. We'll see how it goes... I'll come to you for advice when I decide to get the new lights;)

Krish, I will have this all figured out by the tiem you are ready to move up your lighting. I would be more thatn happy to give you advise :)

tava716 said:
MikeS,

What would you suggest for a configuration using two 48inch bulbs and two 36inch?

I think this will depend. If you are going to keep softies mostly, I'd get 1x48" in Super Actinic, 1x36" in Super Actinic, and 1x48" in Actinic White, 1x36" Actinic White.

IF you are going to keep plating, and some SPS, and do not like that look, and looking for slightly more 'par' (although minimal), you may want to get 1x48" Super Actinic, and the other bulbs Actinic White..

All bulbs URI VHO with internal reflectors....NOT the AquaD version .

Best,
Ilham

tava716 said:
MikeS,

What would you suggest for a configuration using two 48inch bulbs and two 36inch?

Elmo's post above has some good combo's IMO. Personally, I don't like the tank to be too "blue"....although it does make the corals flouresce and glow nicely. Another alternative combo would be 2 36" actinic blues and 2 48" actinic whites....this will take some of the blue bite out of the light as far as viewing the tank goes, and still provide plenty of blue light to the corals.

Since you haven't decided on lights yet....take a look at the T5 setups...watt for watt they have good PAR and intensity, and they have a variety of spectrums....

MikeS

FWI the 'actinic white' bulbs are the pink ones and they are horrible looking.

big t said:

hmmm Interesting....I wonder if different sites advertise different URI bulbs as "actinic white" ? I use one in my combo...it's a 12,000k....I suppose it might have a bit of a pink tint to it maybe....but I'd say it's more of a purple/white color....interesting observation Tom:D ...are any others reading this thread that use the URI actinic white bulb? If so, how would you describe the color of the bulb to the eye?

MikeS

big t said:

I don't agree with this ;) But maybe could be a bulb to bulb issue?

AquaSuns have always been pink. Actinic Whites are 'cool white' to me.

Best,
Ilham

Back