Uri VHO bulbs.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I guess it is al tiral and error. I guess you just keep trying different ones until you get a look htat you like, and also is functiional for the tank inhabitants. I ordered last night prior to posts #16-20. I ordered one 48inch actinic white, one 36inch actinic white, one 48inch super actinic and one 36inch super actinic. $94.00 with shipping.... Called a lot of my LFS and the few that had URI wanted between $30 and $40 a piece for them. If it ends up being too pink, I can sell the 48inch actinic white and get a 48inch daylight or something.

THanks for the advice guys. Now it is time for me to dismantle my NO light hoods and install the VHO ballasts and endcaps in them!

Well I will try to get the bulbs back and take a picture. Maybe the pair I had were mislabeled, who knows. But for sure they were so pink that it made me want to throw up :lol:

Big T,

I agree. I HATE that pink look. The URI Actinic/white 12K bulbs are described as this on the Hellolights.com site:
* Excellent quality, URI Actinic/White bulbs are perfect if you are looking for a mix of white/blue light!

So, i hope they are nice and white like my 10Ks that I have now.

I have been running the URI bulbs for 10 years now. I have about 30 of them in operation right now. The Aquasun bulbs are the pink ones. A ratio of half Actinic/White and Super Actinic gives a good look. The bulbs last about 9 months before the intensity drops off. They run better on electronic ballasts (by that I mean last longer). Most LPS and soft corals do very well under them.

We sell the 48" ones for $26.50 :)

HTH,
Kevin

Maybe the pair that I had were mismarked. They have blue ends and have "actinic white" printed on the side of the bulb.

Back