Used Light Fixture - Bad Ballast?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CT12

I'm in the process of gathering the bits and pieces I need to get a 90 gallon tank up and running. I purchased a used light fixture (Sunlight Supply T-5 Ready Fit Retro, w/ 2 54 watt bulbs) from Barrier Reef about a month ago and I'm not sure if it is going to work for me. It came with one bulb but when I plugged it in, nothing happened. I noticed that the bulb was chipped and no good so I ordered a couple of new bulbs. The new bulbs came today but one of them broke during shipping. I installed the one good bulb that I have and tried to turn the light on. Still nothing. Do you need to have two bulbs installed in the fixture for this type of light to work or do I need to track down an electrical problem? Kind of a newbie question but I haven't dealt much with fluorescent lighting.

Thanks,
Chris

You do need to have all the bulbs in for the fixture to fire the bulbs. I just went through a similar situation, with my 4 year old 6 bulb fixture. My issue ended up being an end cap needing replacement. Get in touch with Greg at www.reefgeek.com

Well, that's a relief. I kind of figured that was the case, closing the circuit or something along those lines. Thanks for the quick response. I should be getting my replacement bulb in the mail next week and I can try to fire it up again with two intact bulbs.

You do need to have all the bulbs in for the fixture to fire the bulbs. I just went through a similar situation, with my 4 year old 6 bulb fixture. My issue ended up being an end cap needing replacement. Get in touch with Greg at www.reefgeek.com

So I just got my replacement bulb in the mail and the light fixture still doesn't fire up. How did you end up diagnosing the problem with your fixture? Any advice on how to systematically test the fixture?

Thanks.

Back