Used pumps not working

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fbacungan

Squirt
Hello all,

I bought 2 used external pumps (gen-x and mak4) from Matts125.

Both were not working when I tested them. I took the parts out saoked them in watered down muratic acid and still, nothing.

When I plug them in, I feel quiet movement, but no water pumps out.

Can anyone suggest a way to kick them into gear?

I appreciate any responses.

Fred

You need to prime the pumps meaning there needs to be water in the pump and in a good portion of the lines for them to start pumping. Hope that helps,
David

Thanks for the response guys.
When you say "prime", I usually think of manually doing something to it to get water in them. If I connect them to my sump with the water line way above the pumps, doesn't that get water into them? Ist here something else that needs to be done?

Yup, there is water in the sump and in the pump. There are big bold words that say not to run the pump dry. Was a I sold a pump that already went bad?

you need to check a few things. On the gen-x remove the pump assembly from the motor in the motor there will be a drum that rotates when the motor is plugged in you can also rotate the drum by hand. Verify that the drum rotates by hand free and smooth. Then plug in the motor and verify that it rotates under power. if that checks out open the pump assembly and and verify that the impeller rotates smoothly and freely on the shaft. If it is stuck then try to free the shaft by gently taping on it and turning by hand. I hope this helps.
David

Yup, there is water in the sump and in the pump. There are big bold words that say not to run the pump dry. Was a I sold a pump that already went bad?

Alot of times they need to be push started by turning the impellor by hand. At the end of the impellor there is a bushing that gets very tight and the magnets are not strong enough to get it going. If the motor turns the pumps are probably fine and probably just need additional cleaning.

Don

Back