using natural sunlight

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

I've been reading the book by anthony calfo on coral propagation. has anyone tried to put a frag tank or reef in front of an east or south window?

South East sunlight, beautiful. Northeast too. Like your new colors Krish.
You know you were the reason I came back to and still call this home. You were so welcoming and helpful. Kudos.

Debbie

Like your new colors Krish.
You know you were the reason I came back to and still call this home. You were so welcoming and helpful. Kudos.

Debbie

LOL! Thanks Debbie and your new avitar inspired me to change up mine as well:p

there is a guy, Dave, I believe his name is has or had an outdoor sps frag prop system. I think his nickname is O2manyfish, or something like that. There was also a guy in florida, Rocky, that had an outdoor frag greenhouse. I think he lost his in one of the hurricanes.

I will look for the images I saw once of a dude in AZ that when he built his home he had four Solatubes installed above his fish room and there were diffusers on the business end of these tubes. Now of course really not feasable here in WA due to lack of sun but this dude had amazing results with these Solatubes. What they are are light collectors on your roof and and the light travels down the shaft and you can direct the light anywhere you want it.

The colors and growth patterns in his tank were spectacular. There was a time ago that some claimed that utilizing natural sunlight caused/contributed to nuisance algae but I seem to remember that there was no issue with this tank. I will try to find out if the message board is still around. Cant remeber the name but it was based out of AZ.

http://www.solatube.com.au/

Hers the link to the supplier for those interested in using them as suppliments to your artifial lighting.

heck you could do away with all your lighting with this type of system. Rather cost inhibitive though. But like I said the dudes tank I saw he had them built in when he was building his home. Not sure either how well they would work in the PNW either. If anyone knows or has images of anyone in the state please provide a link

Last edited:
One of my buddies here in St. Louis uses solatubes and gets great results.

If you get algae from sunlight, you have too many nutrients in your system.

"sunlight alone has been used but rarely, and usually with a collector and magnifying lens to get enough of it to the tank."

Incorrect, most large scale coral propgations use sunlight.

i was referring to hobbyist tanks in their homes. many of us could supply the light needs of our animals with sunlight alone on bright days but there are too many not so bright days in the northwest so you would want some sort of a magnifier and then turn down the intensity on bright days.

Back