Using old slatwater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

Just curious. I did a water change a little less than 2 weeks ago and there was about 5 gallons left in the bottom of the barrel. It has been sitting since without a lid over it, no heater and no circulating pump. Is it ok to use mixing it in with fresh water change water or should I just dump it?

Using older water

Just curious. I did a water change a little less than 2 weeks ago and there was about 5 gallons left in the bottom of the barrel. It has been sitting since without a lid over it, no heater and no circulating pump. Is it ok to use mixing it in with fresh water change water or should I just dump it?

I did the same thing and used the water and had no problems. yeah, what they said, use the water

It all depends where you had the water kept. In the future I would not store the water without a lid or cover. If any cleaners or oils were used around the water it coud get contaminated.

I generally practice the when in doubt throw it out theroy.

I mean would you drink bottled water left to stagnate open for 2 weeks?
There warnings aginst doing that due to bacterial blooms in the water and such.
If I even forget to plug in my circulation pump for a few days I toss the salt water, better safe then sorry right?

It all depends where you had the water kept. In the future I would not store the water without a lid or cover. If any cleaners or oils were used around the water it coud get contaminated.

This sense!

Was it ro/di water? that would be in your favor if use used ro/di system

I've done this a ton of times since I am always running around and always forget one thing or another. As far a bacterial bloom...not that it couldn't be bad...but I highly doubt it would really get to such a bad point that it could do some serious damage, especially if it is mixed with newly mixed fresh water and then exchanged into a developed system. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but I would still use the water. Throwing it out could get to really be a costly waste.

Back