Using Plants?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Ed, thanks a bunch for you help. I really do appreciate it. I went to the shop to grab the test kit today, and they had none left. The dude at the fish store told me to bring in a sample of my tanks water, and he would test it for me as you have suggested. The only thing is, he said I would need to purchase the whole nine yards as far as the test kit goes after he tests the water??. I just want to make sure I understand what you were getting at, when you said I would not need to test some of these other things after the cycle is complete. Does that mean that this fish store dude is looking for a somewhat heavy sale on the master test kit? I have spent a few bucks on this tank already lol. If I can save on this test kit deal, that would be cool lol. Please let me know what you think I should without a doubt have as far as this kit goes. I don't mean to be repeating some of what you already posted above lol, but I need to be sure that I am not spending $ for nothing at the pet store. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Jim

New tank fun

Hi Jim,
I'm also just starting up a tank. I've had it going for 7 weeks, now. I have the inexpensive test kits, like you can buy at PetSmart. The kits I have are from Aquarium Pharmaseuticals Inc. I didn't find them terribly difficult to use and my results seem to be consistent with what I am seeing in the tank. Of course, I am pretty good a following directions.:D

I had the "brown algae" (diatom) phase really bad. I had some white Tonga branch coral that turned totally golden brown. My snails seem to be cleaning it up, now. I put some filter material in the sump where the baffles are and cleaned it nightly. It didn't take very long until some regular algae started growing. I have some pretty bright halogen lights in my hood and, if I understand things correctly, good water movement and good lighting help speed things past the diatom stage. I hope you're having as much fun as I am:lol:
Traci

Hey Traci how goes it? Yes I am having a blast learning this new world of keeping fish & salt lol. I have been into fresh water tanks for many years, but I am learning quickly that things are quite different in the marine world lol. Thanks for responding, I take all of this info into my notes. I hope your tank stays on track for you.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

MOST LFS's will test your water "for free", so you know where your system sits. What I was suggesting is IF those tests of your Ammonia & Nitrite BOTH show ZERO, then your tank has likely gone through its innitial Cycle.

What I found, once my tank cycled innitially, I never again needed to test for Ammonia & Nitrite in it. True, I do still use my Ammonia test kit, but that is only for my Quarenteen Tank, NOT my main tank.

I know how expensive this hobby gets, and in an effort to help you cut a couple corners for now, I was suggesting that IF ammonia & nitrite both test ZERO, you do NOT purchase those piticular kits now. You will want to test periodically (for the lifetime of your tank) your tank's Nitrate level however, and I suggest you spend the extra money a Salifert Nitrate Test costs, and purchase just that one.

The Aquarium Pharmaseuticals kit does fine for new tanks. That kit comes with Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & Nitrate. The ammonia & nitrite kits work well... and the Nitrate kit is close to accurate. I don't like their pH kit, but it is better than having nothing.

Traci is correct, good lighting and flow in your tank, along with very good maintenance helps speed this Diatom phase along quicker. Adding more in the way of a clean-up crew help as well. Maintenance is what will help the most.

Blow off your rock as you do your water changes, sucking out the brown diatoms as you go. Do the same with the brown you get on your glass. The more of the diatoms you syphon out of your tank as you clean, the less in your tank to deal with, giving a good clean-up crew the chance to catch up.

This diatom stage tends to last about 3-4 weeks, and I have yet to find a good way to get around it... but the above suggestions is what has worked best for me.

I probably also need to mention, that right now you don't need to add more fish to your system. I understand how tempting it is, wanting the beauty to be instantly in your tank... but you really want to let your tank mature for a little longer before adding anything.

Especially if you are still detecting any Ammonia and/or Nitrite in your system! If you are, you tank is still in its innitial cycle... let that complete, then let the diatom stage work through its course.

Don't add more in the way of a clean-up crew (snails, possiblly hermits & crabs), if you are still finding any ammonia or nitrite either. Inverts tend to be VERY gentle when it comes to even small levels of those toxins in our water.

Back