Using sushi fish eggs as food

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

y2says

I was wondering if anyone else does this. I've been using it for years and fish, corals and inverts loves it. The ones I'm talking about are the little orange eggs (like on the california rolls).

Interesting. I haven't done this, but it sounds like a good way to switch up the food. I'll check them out next time I'm at Ouajimaya.

These eggs are died to make them a pretty color, right? That would be the only think I'd be worried about. They are sold as flying fish roe (I think), but who knows what they really are

I've seen flying fish eggs too. A pack runs about $4-5 and can last a long time if you mix up your foods.

anyone ever use salmon eggs, my dad fishes and tend to get a bunch over the year, he normally uses them for bait but i know i could get a bunch for the aquarium?

In my experience all of your bigger eggs will leave a heavy amount of protein in the water column. In my case it caused my skimmer to go crazy for almost 2 days, then I got a slime that developed in the sump, along with cyano. The fish and corals loved it but I do believe the richness of them will require alot of water changes

Many of the DIY food recipies call for roe of various fish. Wittenrich says use non-dyed if you can, but it is not a big deal if that is all you can find.
FWIW...

Back