Using varied foods for corals, separate or together?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking with flash light one night and could see polyp extension more than in the light. so I thought why not feed at night.

PS take a look some night mike. See what you think

Feeding corals in a immature closed ecosystem as our tanks will result in raised levels of PO4 and the effects of that to the reef, can be from disatrous to none!!Sings of it(PO4) will be algae on the tanks glass surfaces, and reduced coraline growth.then derbesia, or bryopsis will grow on the rock, if you keep poluting the water.....there is a chance though, that the livestock will consume most off the food, and that is the best ballance you can achieve!!!!
Keep doing it, but be carefull and open the skimmer, after feeding to catch the remaining organics!

Looking with flash light one night and could see polyp extension more than in the light. so I thought why not feed at night.

I've noticed this also but it's only on certain species. Some have polyps that are closed all night & only open during the day. In my system I'd say it's about 50/50. I've also noticed the night expansion is most notable at the branch tips.

Closed at night--Tort, yongei, pocillepora, millis

Open at night-prostrata,table, efflo,tri colors

I don't feed the corals............just the fish during the day a few times.

Back